A while back, I was asked to make a floor-standing, animated brain, external hard drive. It was to 'light up' when the hard drive was accessed and 'look good'.
When idle, it has a red, throbbing 'pulse'. When the hard-drive is accessed, it has a number of animated LED effects which make it light-up like a Christmas tree!
This Instructable gives information about the build. I made a blog about the project, but have only had one comment in two years! Hence, I thought I would give the project more exposure.
In this Instructable you can see:
- Sculpting a life-size clay brain and vacuum-forming a transparent version of it
- Installing the numerous LEDs and modifying old hard-drives to form part of the sculpture
- Creating the PIC microcontroller circuit boards which control the effects
- Building the laser-cut, illuminated 'spine'
- Building the black base and installing the real external hard-drive inside
It is not a full set of instructions to make something identical, more a set of ideas which might be of interest to others.