Looking around in my shop, I found I already had all the necessary materials to construct such a time-honored headpiece. The materials used were:
- an old hard hat
- an old power tube from a previous project (http://www.instructables.com/id/Rescue-a-vintage-TV-cabinet/)
- a toggle switch
- an "AAA" battery holder (and batteries)
- a "mystery" red LED (I call it a "mystery," because it came unmarked in a box of junk parts I bought once upon a time)
- an empty wire spool
- an old coiled cord
- a little round "thingy" from an lamp
- a couple of feet or so of brass rod
- heat shrink tubing
- and my old standby....hot glue
The tools used were pretty simple: a drill, drill bits, and soldering gun
Step 1: Preparing the hard hat
My plan was to mount a huge old vacuum tube on the top (sort of like an "idea" light bulb), stuff a red LED up through the base so it would shine through the glass, and wire it all together with batteries and a switch.
Looking around, I realized that the pins of the tube would fit nicely inside of an old plastic wire spool, so I bolted the wire spool to the top of the hat (photo 2).