Basically what we are going to do is take a Powermat inductive charging back cover for the Evo and replace the inductive charging coil with one out of a Palm Pre Touchstone charging cover.
I had a Palm Pre a few years ago and one of the best things about it was the Touchstone charging system. Since I still had these the only cost was the Powermat back cover and a little time.
Step 1: Parts, Materials, and Tools Needed
There are only a few items needed for this project.
- The phone you already have. In my case, this is an HTC EVO 4G.
- Palm Pre phone Touchstone phone cover. These are easily found on Ebay
- Powermat Receiver door (back cover) for your phone. These can be found on Ebay or at the Powermat web site at http://www.powermat.com. If you buy one on Ebay, make sure that the one you get has the plug that connects the back cover to the phone charging jack.
- Touchstone charging base. I have one at home, one in my car, and one at work. These are easy to find on Ebay as well.
The tools I used on the project were as follows:
- Soldering iron
- Dremel rotary tool although a sharp knife might work for you as well.
- Volt Meter
NOTE: If you plan on using any tool for a project please make sure you are familiar with the tool and all of the dangers associated with it. If you are not familiar with a tool then you should ask someone who is to show you the proper way to use it. A lot of communities have classes at local colleges on the proper use of tools and machinery. There are also local woodworking clubs that offer classes at very reasonable rates for beginners. I highly recommend using these resources for your safety and for the most efficient use of the tool.
Always wear eye and hearing protection.
Always work safe with the proper safety equipment and guards on your tools.
Step 2: Romove the Coil From the Palm Pre Phone Cover
Step 3: Romove the Coil From the Powermat Phone Cover
Step 4: Replace the Coil on the Powermat Cover
Step 5: Make the Connections
Solder the wires from the Powermat back cover to contacts from the Palm Pre Touchstone charging coil.
Step 6: Put the Cover on the Phone
Have fun with the Instructable and enjoy "hands free" charging.