Introduction: Vanellope Von Schweetz Costume
For Halloween I decided to be Vanellope Von Schweetz, aka President Fart-feathers, aka, Baroness Boogerface etc.
I love Wreck-It Ralph so I just had to be Vanellope Von Schweetz for Halloween! She's fun, she's crazy and she was perfect for me! Isn't it perfect! Penolopy is Venellope! I gathered information on her specifics on the Disney Wiki, but didn't follow it word for word of course :)
If you want to be Vanellope but just don't have time to make the costume, Amazon actually has a pretty cute version for sale :)
Second Prize in the
2013 Autodesk Halloween Contest
Step 1: Tights
- Seafoam Green Tights or Mint Leggings without Feet
- White, Purple and Blue Paint
- Cling Wrap
This isn't too bad of a step. First you just need some tights.
- Cut out pieces of cardboard that are an imitation of your leg.
- First, measure your leg from the top of your inseam to the tip of your toe, that is how long you want the piece of cardboard.
- Measure the circumference periodically down your leg, for example: my thigh was 20 inches around so I divided that by two (10) and then subtracted an inch (9) so at the top of my piece, I made it 9 inches wide. Then I measured my food and that is 8 inches around. I divided this by two (4) and subtracted an inch. So the other end of my cardboard leg was 3 inches.
- Wrap the pieces in cling wrap. I didn't do this at first and the cardboard stuck terribly to the tights.
- Stick your "legs" into the tights
- Draw out what you will be painting. Use painters tape to get cleaner lines, again, I forgot to do this right away but did it when I did the other side of the leg. One leg you want swirling thinner white lines. I did those bout 1 inch wide. The other leg will have thicker white lines going horizontal up the leg. I did those 2 inches.
- Paint on your white lines. Let them dry.
- Paint the purple stripes in the horizontal white stripes.
- Do this for one side of the leg and let them dry. I pried them up when I could to prevent sticking.
- When dry, turn over the legs and do the back. Make sure both sides line up.
- Once completely dry, take off the legs. If you didn't periodically pry it up, it will be more difficult to get off, but not impossible.
Step 2: Hair Accessories
- Felt (Red, Yellow, Purple, Green, Grown, Pint, Orange, Light Blue)
- Glue Gun
- Floral Wire - I used this 18 gauge, 18 inch floral wire, but use what works for you.
- Clip on Earrings
- Needle-nose Pliers
- I used floral wire and red felt. Cut off strips of felt that are the length of the felt (9 inches) and about half an inch wide. You will need 4 strips to cover two floral wires.
- If you have cloth covered like me, remove the cloth (this was leftover from my very first Instructable)
- Using two pieces of felt per wire, cover the wire using the hot glue.
- Do this for 2 wires.
- Twist the felt covered wires together.
- Cut out stars, hearts, circles, sprinkle shapes, and gummy bears in felt. You can use the document I've attached. I cut mine out using the Silhouette. There is also a pdf if you want to print and cut them out yourself. Or you can just freehand it all.
- Assemble the mint candies and gummy bears.
- Take the bigger candies (hearts, gummy bears, and stars) and attach them with hot glue to the clip on earrings. Use the pliers to take off the loops that are just in the way.
- Use the rough velcro side and stick those to the sprinkles and circle pieces.
Step 3: Hair Assembly
In case you need help here is How to Wear a Wig with Long Hair
- First you need to put your wig/hair in a ponytail. Make it high if you can!
- Use your licorice and tie that around the ponytail.
- Stick on the main barrettes. I tried to use images from the movie to line it up the best I could with how her hair was.
- Stick on the sprinkles and circles wherever you want. Make sure to get the ponytail and the bangs.
Step 4: Sweatshirt
- Seafoam Sweatshirt (Disney wiki says mint green, but I disagree) I had a hard time finding one, I eventually bought this one.
- Pink String - I used this awesome pink paracord.
- Yarn Needle
Also, replace the sweatshirt drawstring with the paracord. Mine didn't even have one, so I cut holes and threaded in the paracord.
Step 5: How to Make a Double Layered Pleated Skirt
Here is the part that takes the longest. You can just buy a skirt if you want. I couldn't find one, so I made one and I love it and plan on wearing it more after Halloween!
I went off of Scoochmaroo's Pleated Skirt Tutorial.
My piece of fabric I started with was 3 yards long by 37 inches wide.
It took me, um, about maybe 6 hours from beginning to end for the skirt. I was precise with my pleats so that makes it take longer. My pleats were 2 inches wide, but you can go thiner to be more like Vanellope.
I copied Scooch's tutorial, except I folded over the skirt to make it double layered.
I'll try to add more information, but please ask for any clarification.
Step 6: Shoes
- Wide Sharpie
You need all black shoes or short boots to complete the costume. I couldn't find a pair I wanted so I took my old pair of shoes and colored in the white bottom.
I got a little lazy with my shoes since you don't really see them, but Vanellope does have candy on the bottom of her shoes. If you decide to decorate them there, I would suggest you either:
Step 7: Putting It All Together!
Party time! I'm so excited to go around wearing this on Halloween!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.