Introduction: 1/12 Scale Cake and Stand Out of Found Items and Craft Foam
This is a 1/12 scale tiny cake made from craft foam and a cake stand made from found items. The plate and fork were made from scraps of thin cardboard and card stock.
- Small plastic tube about 1 inch in diameter.
- The tip of a pencil or pen that is no longer working.
- Plastic straight pin with a round top.
- Scraps of Craft Foam in two different colors.
- Small piece of flat plastic off of any packaging.
- Double Stick tape.
- Diamond Glaze Glue or similar like Mod Podge.
- Dremel or similar tool for cutting.
- Tiny drill.
- Optional Cricut for cutting craft foam, or a very steady hand.
- 1 inch hole punch for punching clear plastic.
- Plastic template with circles in it.
- Scraps of Cardstock and or thin cardboard
- Optional silver or gold paint to paint the fork and or any parts not clear already.
- Something to cut the pin with.
- washi tape tp mark where to cut the tube.
- craft knife to cut a slice of cake.
- 400 grit sandpaper.
Mark where to cut the tube, then put tape on it to help guide. Carefully cut with cutting blade on Dremel. Then remove tape and sand bottom of cut.
Punch hole in plastic sheet and glue pen cap to it. Set aside to dry.
Figure out how big to make the cake base don how big the cake plate and cover is. Remember to make the top “frosting” layer larger than the lower layers and the long thin “frosting” that wraps around the same circumference as the top layer. It is okay to make it a bit long so it can be cut to size when attaching.
Using the double stick tape or glue if wanted, attach all the cake parts. If gluing, wait for glue to dry before cutting a piece.
Cut a piece of cake.
Cut the tip off the pin and drill a tiny hole in the top of the cake stand. Put a tiny amount of glue on the pin and insert it in the hole. Let dry.
At this point you can test fit the cake in the stand if everything is dry. I did not get pictures of making the fork and plate, but the plate was made by pressing a circle of card stock into a slightly smaller circle in the hole template. I just drew a small fork and cut it very carefully :)
Participated in the
Tiny Things Speed Challenge