A DIY, RGB Videolight

Introduction: A DIY, RGB Videolight

This one is targeted mainly towards photographers and videographers who want to add a bit of vibrance or style to their photos/videos. But that's not to say you can't use it however you like. Be creative, you know. I have searched for how to make this on YouTube but did not find exactly the information that I needed, so here is my take on it


  • LED Strip
  • On/Off switch
  • 3 LEDs (for battery indication) + 2 LEDs (for charging indication)
  • XL6009 DC-DC Booster Board
  • 3.7V Single-Cell LiPo (I used 2500mAh)
  • TP4056 Charging Board
  • 1x 470Ω resistor
  • 1x 50Ω resistor

Step 1: The Box Design

So, the design is very basic with not so many features, just groves for the fingers on the top and bottom, the holes for the switch, LEDs, and micro USB port on the side and the grooves for the potentiometer on the other side. It has a bunch of faulty design choices though, a 4mm wall thickness was too thick for the USB port to be catch on to the cable,I did not account for the depth of the LEDs, forgot the charging LED holes, battery pocket did not have space in front of it to slide the battery in. However, all of these faults were easily fixed after the 3d print was done. I have attached the file of you want to have a look at it in Fusion 360 but I suggest you modify it before printing.

Step 2: The Electronics

The circuit I used is shown in the first picture of this section and the rest of the photos is as follows, it is pretty straight forward though, don't worry:

  1. The LED strips with their R, G and B connected separately together in a parallel configuration
  2. The boost converter
  3. The switch, battery level LEDs and battery
  4. The charging board
  5. The sliding potentiometers

Notes about the pictures:

  • The converter has a potentiometer (blue box with a brass knob) that has to be adjusted to output 12V from a 3.7V input from the battery, usually 12V is optimal for LED strips but do check your strips recommended operating voltage just in case.
  • The cluster of the resistor is just me being lazy and not wanting to go to the electronics store to get the 470 and 50 ohm resistors. Instead, I worked with what I had and kept connecting them in series and parallel configuration to get the approximate values
  • The charging board already has two SMD LEDs for indication of "charging" and "fully charged". However, I desoldered them and soldered two regular LEDs with low resistances to be visible at the top of the box where I drilled the hole missing from the design.

Step 3: Finishing Up!

Assembly is really simple, I just manually cut a piece of transparent acrylic sheet (also which I had available) to size and sanded it down with 320 grit sandpaper to be a less-than-adequate diffuser. then I decided to add two parchment papers to the back of it and then glued everything together and into the recess of the lid.

Finally, the whole thing can be put together with 4 screws at the corner.

Step 4: Results

It is actually much more fun to play with than I thought...

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions and also do not forget to check out the YouTube video I made about this project. Thank you for reading this 0:)

Be the First to Share


    • Lamps Challenge

      Lamps Challenge
    • Puzzles Challenge

      Puzzles Challenge
    • Rice & Grains Challenge

      Rice & Grains Challenge