Introduction: AT89S52 - Veroboard & Upcycling Components
Build your own ancestor of Arduino with upcycled components.
32 I/O programmable. Is this an ISP programmable microcontroller.
Easy and instructive build project.
(Ok... i buy Veroboard for this one, or you could do it on breadboard)
Step 1: Find Components
- 2 x 22 pF Ceramic capacitors
- 2 x 180 ohm Resistor 1/4W
- 1 x 10k ohm Resistor 1/4W
- 2 capacitor 10uF (could put 10uF or 1uF for reset)
- 1 capacitor 1uF
- 1 x 20 MHz Oscillator 2 points
- 1 x LM7805 Regulator 5V
- 1 x Interruptor 2 positions
- 1 x USB B female connector
- 4 x 8 pins male headers
- 2 x 4 pins male headers
- 1 x AT89S52 Microcontroller
- 1 x Veroboard
- 2 x Leds 3mm (1 red and 1 green) for check supply
Required: Stuff for soldering.
Note, all components was upcycled. You could find them on electronic waste.
I've just buy Veroboard.
Step 2: Soldering
Follow previous schematic for soldering components on Veroboard.
Warning: Try on breadboard before solder.
Step 3: Checking
Check power supply with Leds.
Put the microcontroller in good position. Point on corner of AT89S52 is first pin.
It's an Arduino looks like with old stuff.
Step 4: Upload Your Program
Now it's time for programming microcontroller. Choose your method, and try a Blink code for testing it.
I'm using a professionnal ISP programmer with ZIF socket for upload hex file. You could program it with an Arduino Uno and using goods pins.
Upcycle for fun.
Participated in the
First Time Author Contest