Introduction: AVID Successful Student
Part of the AVID beginning of the year routines involve students examining the characteristics of successful students. This discussion is usually followed up with a very rudimentary "doll" drawing with characteristics written around it. This does not leave much use of: Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Communication, or Creativity. To dive deeper, students can use their own pictures, a Makey Makey, and Scratch to cover the 4C's.
Makey Makey and Clips
Printed Pictures of the Students. (They can take a pic with their partners on a Chromebook etc.)
Brads, foil tape or other conductive material
Step 1: Step 1: Brainstorm
With your partner and/or class brainstorm what it means to be successful at school. Record responses and discuss together as a class.
Step 2: Step 2: Take a Picture of You and Your Partner Together
Using the digital device you have available, take a standing picture of your partner and yourself together. You will be using this picture to write behaviors, skills and attitudes that a successful student must posses.
Step 3: Step 3: Label the Picture
Print the picture or edit the picture in an application like Google Drawings where you can type the characteristics of successful students before printing.
*Use a maximum of 6 characteristics. (That way you won't need extra clips etc.)
Step 4: Step 4: Build
1. Tape or glue picture to cardboard. (adds strength)
2. Connect brads or conductive material (ie. copper tape etc.) next to each "Successful Student" characteristic.
3. Connect Makey Makey alligator clips to the brads the Makey Makey.
Step 5: Step 5: Scratch Programming
Using the Makey Makey scratch extensions:
1. Students will program and record:
- The definition of the characteristic
- The "why" a student should look or behave that way
- extra: give an example and non-example
Step 6: Step 6: Share
- Gallery Walk to see all projects
- Invite others to see
- Have them out at Back-To-School Night
- New students...let them learn the characteristics from the students' projects
- Invite Admin in!
- Video the project
- Have the students teach to another class....
2 years ago
For me, a successful student is, first and foremost, a happy student who is happy with what he is doing and who manages to cope with all the tasks in a quality manner. I have problems with this since I don’t know how to use time rationally, I'm accumulating many tasks that need to be completed almost simultaneously. Without the help of this service https://www.essaygeeks.co.uk/assignment/ I certainly wouldn’t do it. Therefore, the title of a successful student not yet deserved.
3 years ago
What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this project!