Introduction: Airsoft & Pellet Guns Automatic Target

The point of that project was to build, only with leftovers from my drawers, a motorised target to use with a airsoft or a pellet gun.

The parts found in my garage to build the target are:
- 1 old wiper motor from a Mini Austin
- 5 microswitches
- PC power supply
- 1 power switch
- 2 ikea boards from an unused shelf for the box
- 50mm washers (5)
- 5 hinges
- flat bar steel (12mm x 1mm )

- steel rod
- screws
- zinc sheet for shielding

Step 1: Soldering the Targets and Lift

The targets are pretty easy to make.
I have cut 5 steel bars 100mm long from a 12mm x 1mm x 1000 mm bar.
Then I soldered a washer and a hinge on each bar using a mig welder.

The lift is made with 2 hinges and 5mm steel rod 400 mm long.

Step 2: Cleaning and Modification of the Wiper Motor

As the motor is more than 40 year old, it needed a bit of cleaning.

The motor has 3 contacts:
- ground
- constant power, that allows to go back to origin position
- contact to start a cycle.

The modification consists in modifying the arm and replace it by a formed steel rod.

This new arm will push the lift when the engine will be on.

Step 3: Cutting Wood for Case

I made the case using two boards from an old Ikea Pax shelf.

The case is designed with a front opening allowing to only see the washer part of the targets.

Step 4: Placing Targets, Lift and Motor

I placed the targets and motor in order that everything fits in the box.

The main point is to get the system to move with no constraint.

Step 5: Electrics Installation

The electric wiring is very simple.

No electronics, only contacts.

The contact C1 on a constant positive is the automatic back to origin

The contact C2 of the motor is the usual "on" for a wiper motor. Once you even just pushed on the button, the motor is going for one complete cycle, due to the C1 contact.

Here, I replaced the usual contact by five microswitches in serial. When all the targets are down, they push on the microswitches levers and the 5 contacts are connected. So the motor goes for its full cycle.

Step 6: Painting and Inside Assembly

Just a little touch of paint so the targets really look like targets!

Step 7: Front Shield

As Ikea boards are not a strong material and as I want the target to be used also with lead pellets, I decided to shield the front of the box.

For this, I used a leftover zinc sheet that I just had to cut and fold for my needs.

Step 8:

The last step was to paint the case, just for a little finishing.

Step 9:

Leftovers Challenge

Participated in the
Leftovers Challenge