Introduction: Apple Pie Ice Cream (Homemade Ice Cream No Machine)
Its known that a nice cold scoop of ice cream on a warm slice of pie hits that sweet spot in any occasion. But sometimes, its just too hot for a warm slice of pie!
Here's where we put the filling into ice cream with that same flakey, buttery crust you love.
Step 1: Ingredients and Supplies
I made my own ice cream, but for an easier time, feel free to buy a tub of vanilla ice cream and just add the filling.
- 1 stick + 1 tbsp of salted butter
- 1 + 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 4 tsp of sugar
- 1 cup of ice cold water
- 1 Apple (I prefer fuji)
- 1 Lemon/1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp of cinnamon (depending on how spiced you want it)
- Pinch of all spice
- 3/4 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup of evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup of ice cream salt or regular kosher salt
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 big metal bowl and a smaller one that fits inside (if you're going the handmade ice cream route)
- Cup cake tray
- Rolling pin
- Freezer safe container
- Knife and cutting board
Step 2: Making and Baking the Pie Crust Bowl
Freeze your butter for a couple minutes!
A good pie crust always has its ingredients ice cold.
- Take your stick of butter and cut it up into cubes
- Dump your all purpose flour into the bowl
- And add 2 tsp of sugar
- Using a fork or your hands, flake the butter into the flour (do this half at a time, whenever your not using the cubed butter, put it back into the freezer)
- You'll start to notice the crust slowly becoming more crumbly
- Once it looks like crumbs, spoon in a couple tbsp's of ice cold water until the crust becomes just moist enough that if you grab a handful it'll stick together
- Take the dough out and shape it into a disk (if the disk breaks, then a little more water)
- Wrap the disk in plastic wrap and put in the fridge for at least an hour
- After the hour is up, roll out on a floured work surface the pie dough
- Spray the outside of your cupcake pan will pam spray or butter the outside
- Conform the pie dough to the outside
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until its golden brown
- Leave the cups on the cupcake sheet to cool for a little, then use a knife to pop the bowls off the tray (should come off really easily)
Step 3: Apple Pie Filling
- Dice the apple into cubes and put into a bowl (you can take the apple skin off if you prefer it)
- Add in 1/4 cup of sugar, cinnamon and all spice
- And a squeeze of lemon juice
- Melt the 1 tbsp butter in the pan
- Once it starts to sizzle, add in the filling
- Cook down the apples till they are soft but not mushy, sprinkling in 2 tsp of sugar to thicken the sauce
- Set the filling on the side
Step 4: Homemade Ice Cream
- Fill your larger metal bowl with ice cubes until its about half way full
- Sprinkle some of the salt onto the ice and nestle your smaller metal bowl into the ice
- Fill around the sides of the bowl with more ice cubes and water
- Fill the smaller bowl with your heavy whipping cream,evaporated milk,1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla
- Using a hand mixer or a whisk, start to stir and whip the cream
- May take a little while, but as the bowl gets colder, you'll notice the cream sticking to the bottom more
- As this goes on, switch to a spoon and scrape the bottom of the bowl, folding the cream over itself to make it thicker
- Once you feel you've done all you can to get it as thick as you can, pour in your apple filling
- Put it in a freezer safe container, and freeze overnight
For the picture above, I put the really soft serve in the freezer for a couple hours then added the filling, but it works both ways
Step 5: Combine and Decorate!
- Put your ice cream in the pie crust bowl and decorate with whatever you want!
I put apple slices on mine but whipped cream or sprinkles sound nice too! and enjoy!
Second Prize in the
Frozen Treats Speed Challenge