Introduction: Arduino Based Weather Station
The hardware components of the system consist of Humidity+Temperature Sensor, atmospheric pressure, altitude sensor, compass, light detection sensor, clock module, Secure digital card (SD card) module, Arduino mega development board and an LCD. A description and analysis of the prototype is given. Illustrations such as block diagram, system flowchart diagram, and a schematic diagram to aid the description of the proposed system will be used.
Main Hardware Components
1. Arduino mega microcontroller is the heart of the weather station system. Arduino provides enough processing power and memory to run the software required and it can read and process signal from various sensors.
2. BMP180 as atmospheric pressure & altitude sensor
3. BH1750 as light intensity sensor
4. DHT22 as temperature & humidity sensor
5. DS3231 as real time clock module to ensure data gathered from the sensors are recorded with respect to time.
6. Modern Device Wind Sensor rev c
7. SD card Module for storing data gather from the sensors
8. Liquid crystal display screen displays the data from the sensors and also information on the status of the entire system.
9. Power supply system
Step 1: Initial Design
The prototype was designed with a computer aided design software (Fritzing) http://fritzing.org/ and the design was implemented physically on a bread board.
Step 2: System Modules
The system consists of two modules namely;
1. The Indoor module.
2. The Outdoor module.
Both modules are connected using a cat5 cable which has eight (8) wires.
Step 3: Indoor Module
The Indoor module:
This module consists of a two custom designed and etched PCB boards.
The design was done using proteus software
The first PCB board is design so that the Arduino mega board can be mounted on it through male pin headers that align properly with the Arduino’s female pin headers. This board consist of a regulated power supply circuit power connected to the Arduino and also provides connectors which allow the Arduino to interface with the second PCB board.
The second PCB board in the indoor module is design such that the humidity sensor, the SD card module, liquid crystal display screen and the real time clock module can be mounted on it. It also provides signal and power connection to the outdoor module.
Step 4: Outdoor Module
The outdoor module consists of a single custom PCB board. The atmospheric pressure sensor, light intensity sensor and wind speed sensor are connected to this board.