Introduction: Avocado Frozen Yogurt Bars (Keto-friendly)
These keto-friendly avocado frozen yogurt bars dipped in dark chocolate magic shell are chock full of healthy fats! In fact, the very short ingredients list incorporates five out of the top 10 listed healthiest fats on Healthline. They are: avocados (of course), full-fat Greek yogurt, dark chocolate, coconut (in both oil and desiccated forms), and almonds. To keep the bars healthy, I sweetened them with stevia.
I hope that you make some in the coming hot months and also hope they can bring in some of your votes as these deliciously fatty froyo bars have been entered into the Fat Challenge. Many thanks!
Step 1: Ingredients and Supplies
Yields 4 x 1/2 cup frozen yogurt bars
AVOCADO FROZEN YOGURT INGREDIENTS
2 ripe avocados
1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
3/4 cup stevia (the kind that is cup-for-cup measure)
NOTE: Since every brand of stevia or sweetener can vary greatly in potency, just add to taste, however consider that treats tend to be less sweet when frozen.
ANOTHER NOTE: If you are not watching your sugar intake nor on keto, you may as well go all the way with calorie consumption by sweetening the bars using condensed milk. Again, sweeten to taste. The condensed milk will yield a creamier result similar to ice cream.
MAGIC SHELL INGREDIENTS
150 g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup refined coconut oil (the kind that is solid at room temperature; also refined means no coconut taste!)
Popsicle molds (each is a 1/2 cup cavity)
Large popsicle sticks
Wide, short glass that would easily fit the pops for dipping
Step 2: Avocado Frozen Yogurt Bars
It couldn't be easier!
1. Place avocados, yogurt, and stevia in a blender.
2. Blend until thoroughly combined.
3. Pour into the popsicle molds.
4. Place popsicle sticks in the center of each mold.
5. Freeze 6-8 hours or overnight.
Step 3: Magic Shell
It's important to use hardened coconut oil to make the magic shell. It's the hardening of the coconut oil at room temperature that allows the chocolate to harden almost immediately when in contact with the frozen yogurt bars. Also note that it's best to use refined coconut oil because the unrefined version gives off a coconut taste (unless you do want to flavor your chocolate with a hint of coconut).
1. Combine coconut oil and chopped dark chocolate in a bowl.
2. Heat in microwave for one minute.
3. Mix thoroughly until smooth. If there are still chocolate chunks, heat for another 30 seconds and mix.
Step 4: Dip Dip Dip
1. Place the mold in a bowl of hot water for 10-15 seconds to release the avocado frozen yogurt bars.
2. Place the liquid magic shell in a short, wide glass that would fit the height and width of the bars. Dip the bars until coated.
3. Immediately sprinkle coconut and almond toppings on the magic shell before it sets.
4. I double and even tripled dipped my bars to add more layers of toppings.
And there you have it! Avocado frozen yogurt bars ready for summer!
First Prize in the