Introduction: Beef & Cabbage Pastry
This pastry is perfect to be served with pickles!
Step 1: Filling
- lean ground beef 400-500 grams
- Hungarian paprika powder
- whole oregano
- steak spice (I used Encore Gourmet)
- Hungarian Vegeta seasoning (available at European specialty stores and/or major grocery stores or online)
- 1 small plate shredded cabbage
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, small cubed
- 1 big carrot, small cubed
- ground black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- ground turmeric
- Heat the oil, saute onion, add in ground beef, stir until beef half cooked (turn in color evenly)
- Add in vegetables, mix well, cover with top, simmer for 5 minutes
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, a pinch each, or as desire.
- Mix well, simmer for another 5-10 minutes on lower heat.
- Set aside, cool.
- Meanwhile, thaw frozen phyllo sheets.
Step 2: Pastry on Baking Pan
- melted margarine
- 4-5 sheets of phyllo pastry
- Grease generously a baking pan (I used pyrex). Place one phyllo (folded), open the inside, brush with melted margarine, fold it back, pour in cooled filling.
- Get another phyllo sheets, brush evenly with melted margarine, fold in two, place on top of filling, brush the top with margarine again.
- Repeat this step until using 3-4 more phyllo sheets.
- Bake at 375 F for 5 minutes, then lower the heat to 300-350 F and bake for another 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with salad, sauces, or pickles as you desire.
Step 3: Rolled Pastry
Another way of making the pastry instead on baking pan is to roll
2 phyllo stack together, place filling and brush sides of phyllo with melted margarine, then roll
Bake as stated on the previous step :)
Participated in the
Slow Food Contest