Introduction: Bench Vice Refurb'.
This is my first Instructable, so please bear with me !
Step 1: Intitial Assessment
Saw this vice in the back workshop at my place of work. It was looking sorry for itself, just sitting there quietly rusting away!. I thought I would take it home and give it a new lease of life, seemed a shame to bin it.
Step 2: Dismantle & Clean.
Next was to dismantle it and inspect for any cracks, damage etc. There didn't appear to be any damage, everything worked. The only thing missing was the jaws. a thorough clean in hot soapy water followed by a scrub down with brake cleaner to get rid of the grease and dirt.
Step 3: Remove Old Paint.
I tried to remove the old paint with Nitromors, but to no avail. So, I decided to set about it with a selection of wire brushes. These got the old paint off in no time and I was pleasantly surprised with the result. Another clean off with brake cleaner in preparation for a fresh coat of paint.
Step 4: Masking Up
Time to mask off wherever you DON'T want the paint to go. I used some Frog tape I had left over from some previous decorating. Take your time at this stage, because the more care you take now saves a load of time trying to get paint off from where you don't want it to be.
Step 5: Primer
I had intended to paint straight onto the bare metal with some Hammerite but decided to prime it with a good quality primer. Belt and braces approach ! Leave this for a couple of days to dry and harden.
Step 6: First Coat of Paint
Hammerite paint was first choice at this point, it's worth paying a little extra for this. The hardest thing was deciding on a colour......went for dark green in the end. I didn't want black or the usual red. Wait a few days between coats, again so it can dry and more importantly harden. Used 3 coats in total.
Step 7: Almost There
Looking good so far. Ready for re-assembly. A little multi purpose grease on the moving parts before it's put back together should keep things moving.
Step 8: Metal Polish
A little Autosol polish on the shiny bits and it looks like new.
Step 9: The Reveal !
Very pleased with the end result. Just waiting for some new magnetic soft jaws I ordered from eBay. The vice now has it's new home on my bench I made from old pallets last year.
5 years ago
Good job! I've got one waiting to be done. Guess I need to get busy. Re-use, recycle, use up, wear out.
Reply 5 years ago
Well said Don !
6 years ago
How can anyone not like a refurbished item. It looks great. Seems you are lacking the jaw plates though. So maybe that is going to be your next instructable project. I refurbished an old Craftsman vice pretty much the same way. Of course it looks well used now from....well...using it again. Nice project!
Reply 6 years ago
Hi gm280, thanks for the comments. You're quite correct about the jaws, that's the next little project in the pipeline. I have now received the magnetic rubber jaws I ordered a few days ago, but I would like to make some wooden ones as most of the items that will be held by the vice are going to be brass or copper. I need something reasonably soft such as pine.
6 years ago
Beautiful job, looks pristine now. i saw a video where this Russian fellow used the flats from an old brake rotor to fabricate new jaw inserts for his vice restoration, very clever use of scrap I thought. ☺
6 years ago
Nice restoration. It looks brand new.