Introduction: Chicken for 5...
Chicken for 5....days!
This Instructable includes the shopping list and recipes for one work week’s worth of meals using chicken. If you don’t want to eat chicken every day, make one day meatless and add more meat to another meal. OR, you can mix and match with some other recipes throughout the week. All of these recipes can be prepared ahead and frozen for convenience.
I have opted for functionality over fanciness, but hopefully you will find none of these dishes lack flavor! They are very versatile so feel free to adjust ingredients to make them your own, too.
*Note: These recipes were used to feed my family (my husband, toddler, and myself), so for the sake of argument I would say each meal provides enough for a family of 2 with possibly enough leftovers for lunch the next day depending on whether you go back for seconds!
Chicken and Yellow Rice
Chicken Pot Pie
BBQ Chicken with Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
BBQ or Chicken Alfredo Pizza
Bonus= Chicken Broth
Step 1: Chicken and Yellow Rice
1 whole chicken, rinsed and giblets removed
1 ½ cups frozen mixed vegetables ¼ onion, peeled and diced
1 bag yellow rice mix water
½ red bell pepper, diced salt/ pepper to taste
Large Stock Pot Large Glass Bowl
Large strainer/ sieve
1. Place chicken in large stock pot and cover completely with water.
2. Boil chicken on the stove until done, about 30 minutes. (There should be no pink meat or blood)
3. Once done, reserve liquid from stock pot using a large strainer or sieve over a glass bowl.
4. Separate chicken pieces from the bone and return desired amount back to the pot. Prepare rice according to package directions using reserved broth in place of water.
5. Divide the rest of the meat into labeled freezer bags for later use.
6. About 5 minutes before rice is done add pepper, onion, and mixed veggies.
7. When rice has reached its desired doneness, season mixture with salt and pepper and serve.
Step 2: Chicken Pot Pie
1 (8oz) can Cream of Chicken Soup ¼ diced onion
Desired amount of cooked chicken
½ cup of frozen veggies 1 small red/new potato, peeled and diced
1 TBSP flour
1 heaping handful of shredded cheddar cheese
1. Place potato in microwave safe bowl and cover with water. Microwave on high until almost tender. Drain and return to bowl.
2. Put cream of chicken soup in bowl and add seasonings to taste. Mix in remaining vegetables, meat and cheese.
3. Add flour and mix well to incorporate.
4. Pour ingredients into bottom pie crust. Dampen edges of crust and add second crust on top. Use a fork to press crusts together and poke a small hole in the middle of the crust to release steam during cooking. Wrap strips of aluminum foil around edge of crust to prevent burning before inside is done.
5. Bake in preheated oven on 350 for 35-45 minutes or until top crust is lightly browned and juices begin to protrude.
Step 3: BBQ Chicken With Broccoli Cheddar Soup
BROCCOLI SOUP (from Simple and Delicious magazine April/May 2011)
1 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 can (14 1/2 oz) beef broth
1 1/2 cups milk or heavy cream
10 oz frozen chopped broccoli
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup shredded cheese
In large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in milk, broccoli, mustard, Worc. sauce, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese until melted.
Chicken pieces ¼ onion, diced
Favorite BBQ Sauce
1. Saute onion in butter in a skillet over medium heat. Once they start to look translucent add meat.
2. Pour desired amount of BBQ sauce over mixture and saute a few minutes more or until bubbly.
3. Butter both sides of bread.
4. Add meat to unbuttered side of one piece of bread, sprinkle on desired cheese, and top with remaining piece of bread (butter side up)
5. Place back in pan and brown both sides and serve with soup :)
Step 4: Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
1 Box Penne pasta or pasta of your choice
6oz frozen broccoli
1/4 cup butter
1 cup heavy cream
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2-1 c mozzarella cheese
1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
2. In separate saucepan, melt butter over medium low heat. Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes, then add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through. Stir in parsley and mozzarella stirring until melted then set aside.
3. While preparing sauce steam broccoli. Once it is tender mix with pasta and pour sauce on top. Serve with garlic toast and tossed salad.
Step 5: BBQ or Chicken Alfredo Pizza
SAUCE- Leftover from recipe 4 (Chicken Alfredo Pizza)
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup warm water
1 (.25 ounce) package instant yeast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
3 cups all-purpose flour
Remaining chicken (regular strips or leftover from BBQ Chicken Recipe)
Fresh Spinach leaves, stems trimmed
1 Carrot, peeled and shredded
Bacon, cooked and crumbled
Fresh diced tomato
Mozz. cheese, at least 1/2 c
1. To Make the Garlic Butter: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Blend in the garlic and parmesan Cook, stirring constantly, until garlic is tender but not browned. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
2. To Make the Dough: Combine water and sugar in medium size bowl. Add yeast and stir to dissolve. Allow to proof about 5-10 minutes. In separate bowl combine flour and seasoning then add to yeast. Mix garlic into olive oil and add to dough. Roll out onto a lightly flowered surface and knead until smooth. Lightly grease a bowl with oil, add dough turning once to coat and allow to rise half an hour.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). .
4. Roll the dough out on prepared pizza stone or baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Top with cooled garlic butter, covering entire crust. Next spread with Alfredo Sauce (if necessary, warm to spreading consistency), leaving crust edges. Add desired toppings.
5. Bake about 20 minutes or until crust begins to brown. Let set 2-3 minutes before cutting. Serve with ranch if desired.
Step 6: The Shopping List
1 (16 oz) Shredded Cheddar
1 (16oz) Shredded Mozzarella
Canned/ Dry Goods
Box of Linguine/ Spaghetti
Bag of Yellow Rice Mix
1 (8oz) Cream of Chicken Soup
1 ( 14.5 oz) Beef broth
Bottle of your favorite BBQ Sauce
1 (16oz) Bag of Broccoli Spears/ Chopped
1 (10oz) Bag of mixed vegetables
1 package (with 2) ready-to-bake DEEP DISH pie crusts
Rapid Rise Yeast
All Purpose Flour
1 Red Pepper
Minced Garlic (fresh minced or canned) 1 Onion- medium to large depending on your tastes
Step 7: Bonus Recipe- Chicken Stock
Discarded chicken bones and pieces
2 carrots-peeled, rinsed, and cut into long strips
3 potatoes- peeled, rinsed, and quartered
2 celery stocks- rinsed and cut to fit inside pot
1 large onion- peeled and sliced
2 tsp. peppercorns
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 head garlic, unpeeled and cut in 1/2 crosswise
*any other desired seasonings like fresh parsley, thyme, or dill
1. Place discarded chicken bones into a large stock pot and cover with water.
2. Add vegetables and seasonings and bring to a boil.
3. Once the mixture is boiling reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours uncovered.
4. Remove from heat and strain using a sieve or colander over another large pot. Cover and refrigerator overnight.
5. The next day use sieve to strain off fat that has risen to the surface.
6. Use immediately or store in airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer.
*To thaw place in the fridge 24 hours before use or, if frozen in glass, microwave on defrost until thawed.
Participated in the
Scanpan Family Recipes Challenge