Introduction: Click Brick Switch for Makey Makey
This 3D printed switch will allow the user to turn a Makey Makey into a "finger slide" for a "click" in gaming or could be right/left arrows to scroll through presentations. The addition of right and left terminal mounts for the ground wire makes it flexible to meet the hand dominance needs of the user.
What you will need:
- Makey Makey invention kit, including USB and alligator clips.
- 3D printed parts, see Thingiverse files for Click Brick Base and Finger Slide https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4321525
- one, flat head #4 wood screw 1.5-1.75 inches
- two jumbo paper clips and pliers for bending
Step 1: Prepare Paper Clips
1. In order for the screw to make clean contact with the paper clips, bend the smaller, center part of the paper clips about 90 degrees.
Step 2: Installing Contacts
- After you've acquired both 3d printed parts, install the screw so that the head is in the center of the "finger cradle" and the point is coming out of the flat part of the slide.
- Use a pliers to install the paper clip into the slots with the bent part facing the center of the cube.
Step 3: Connect to Your Makey Makey
- Depending on the user, connect the right or left terminal (cylinder form) on the Click Brick with an alligator to Earth on Makey Makey to ground your circuit.
- Decide if your use would be for single click or right/left arrows.
- If using mouse click, use one alligator to connect "click" on Makey Makey to one paper clip.
- If using right/left arrows, use one alligator clip per paper clip (one on either side of Click Brick) to connect right and left arrows of Makey Makey to each paper clip.
Step 4: Enjoy Playing Your Favorite Scratch Game or Scrolling Through Your Next Presentation.
Be sure to rest your thumb on the ground (Earth) clip to complete your circuit.
Participated in the
First Time Author Contest