Introduction: Connect Your CCTV Device to the Internet (DVR or NVR)
In this instructable we will be showing you how to connect your DVR or NVR to the internet.
The Indirect Route of connection is easier to setup but it goes through a third party and streams slower.
The Direct Route is a bit more complicated but it does not go through a third party and therefore streams faster.
Step 1: Securing Your Device and Establishing Internet Connection
First we need to secure the DVR or NVR with a password.
Settings >> System Admin >> User >> Set Password
Thereafter we need to check the internet connection.
Settings >> Fast Network / Network Setup
If the status is offline, press the auto configuration button for it to establish connection.
A Static IP is required if you will be using the Direct Connection Method. Press the Manual Configuration Button for such a setting.
Once the status is online, the device is ready.
Step 2: Indirect Connection (Mobile APP)
We need to download the compatible APP for the device.
1. Press on the add recorder button.
2. Input the Cloud ID (can be found in the Fast Network / Network Setup section)
3. Input the Password (same as we set before on the Device)
4. Press Save
Step 3: Indirect Connection - PC Browser
The website address to connect to the camera by the indirect route will be stated at the System Version or Information page.
1. Enter the Cloud ID and the Password (same as in the mobile APP)
2. Click on Login
3. The third party may require you to download and install one of their controls. Only perform this action if it is the manufacturer of the device or a trusted source.
4. Refresh the browser once the setup is complete.
5. Click on Connect all, to begin the streaming.
Step 4: Direct Connection - Setup
First we need to fix the Local IP Address of the device:
1. Turn off DHCP in order to input the IP Address (so it stays static).
2. Change the Web Port from the default 80 to any preferred port number.
3. Go to Fast Network page to check if the device is correctly connected to the internet.
Afterwards you need to contact your ISP with regard to two settings:
1. The first question you should ask is, "does my internet connection have a static or dynamic IP address?”
If it is static, then you do not need a DDNS account. But if it is dynamic, then you need to create a new DDNS account”
2. The second question is, "does my internet connection have a private or public IP address”?
If it is a private IP address, then you should make a request for your ISP to change it from private to public.
After that’s done, we need to create a DDNS account.
1. No-IP is a well known provider so we will use that. If you opt in for the free account, you need to confirm your hostname every 30 days.
2. After confirming your account from the email you receive from No-IP, your hostname will be active.
3. Now we need to link the hostname to either the router or your video recording device.
DDNS Provider: No-IP (or any other service you prefer)
URL / Domain Name: hostname you created in your account
Username: DDNS Account Username
Password: DDNS Account Password
After setting up the DDNS, we need to set up the port forwarding function:
1. Login to your Router Settings Page
2. Settings >> Security >> Port Forwarding
3. Enter the Port Fowarding details
4. Press ADD and/or APPLY
5. The port can be checked by using an online port checker.
6. Type in the Hostname of the No-IP account / Static IP Address, and the Port of the recording device.
7. If it says the port is open, that means the necessary settings are complete.
Port Forwarding Settings change according to the Router Model, here is an example of the settings:
WAN Port: 8585 (Port to access from outside the network)
LAN Port: 8585 (Device Local Port)
LAN IP Address: 192.168.8.130 (Device Local IP Address)
Status: On / Enabled
Step 5: Direct Connection - Mobile APP
When using the direct route, we do not add the Cloud ID, instead:
1. Click on IP/Domain Name
2. Enter the Hostname (No-IP), Port Number and the Password of the device
3. Click Save
It will load much faster than using the Cloud ID.
Step 6: Direct Connection - PC Browser
When connecting through a PC, you need to:
1. Type in the Hostname, a colon, and then the port number in the address bar of the browser.
2. Input the Username and Password of the Device
3. Press Login
If your internet connection is slow, and the video lags, you can tweak the settings to reduce the frame rate and the video quality so that the video does not lag:
1. Settings >> Sub Stream
2. Reduce Quality and Frame Rate
3. Change Video Stream to Sub Stream on Main Screen
You could also playback or backup videos remotely. Remote backup will not work properly if your internet connection does not have the necessary speeds.
1. Click on the Playback Button
2. Select the desired time duration and the necessary cameras
3. Click Search
4. Click Play or Download
We hope you found this instructable useful :)