Introduction: DIY Fabric Party Flags
Sew fast! This is a nice and easy sewing project for if you have a celebration coming up and quickly want to make something to increase the party joy. Not much sewing experience required!
P.S. I entered this Instructable in the Sew Fast challenge, it would be much appreciate if you vote for me :)
Step 1: Tools & Materials
- Sewing Machine
- A birthday party
- Pattern paper (or some other piece of paper, I used a news paper)
- Different kind of fabrics for the flags.
- I bought 7 different prints for these flags, 50x140cm each.
- Per print, this should be enough for 10 flags (20 single layer).
- 3 finished flags makes about 1 meter of party flags.
Step 2: Transfer & Cut Fabric
- Draw a simple pattern. My triangle was 23 cm wide and 28 cm high.
- Wash and iron the fabric.
- Transfer the pattern to the fabric. While doing this, take the fabric print pattern into account.
- Cut the fabric.
- Alternate the pattern up-down-up-down-etc. if the fabric print allows it. This way you have the least amount of waste.
Step 3: Sew the Flags
- Put two halves with the same print right side together.
- Sew the two halves together, but leave the top open. I used approximately half a centimeter seam allowance.
- Cut away the seam allowance at the tip as indicated in the images.
- Turn the flag right side out.
- Iron the seams flat.
- Repeat for al the flags.
- Have a drink and a snack every once in a while, it can become quite boring repetitive work if you want to make a long line of party flags.
- Use a blunt but pointy object to push the tip of the flag all the way out.
Step 4: Attach the Line
- Fold and iron the bias tape in half, lengthwise.
- Pin the flags inside the bias tape. Put around 3 flags per meter and keep the distance between the flags equal.
- Sew alongside the open side of the bias tape.
- Leave the ends of the line a bit longer, this make it easier to hang. I made mine around 50 cm.
- Cut all the loose threads at the top edge of the flags before this step to make sure none of the loose threads stick out of the bias tape when finished.
Step 5: Enjoy a Happy Birthday
- Decorate the party room with your new flags after the birthday boy/girl went to bed.
- What a surprise in the morning on that special day! Enjoy the flags like my son and his dad in the picture.
- Make a picture of the party flags and share an "I made it", because I love to see what you made!
Participated in the
Sew Fast Speed Challenge