Introduction: Developing Film
For safety, wear gloves while developing and a mask while pouring and dumping chemicals. When filling the tank, make sure you are filling the liquid to the top of the hole. Put the red lid on and have a towel while shaking the tank.
- Loaded developing tank
Step 1: Water
Fill tank with water and drain
Step 2: Developer
- Pour chemicals in and up to the top of the hole
- Shake tank for 5 seconds every 30 seconds and tap it down 3 times
- Start dumping 5 seconds before time is up
Step 3: Stop Bath
•Shake tank continuously for entire time
•Start pouring back into container 5 seconds before time is up
Step 4: Fixer
- Shake tank for 10 seconds at 1 minute intervals and tap it down 3 times
- Start pouring back 5 seconds before time is up
Step 5: Water Wash
•Take lid off tank and let water run continuously into tank
Step 6: Photo Flo
•Remove film from reel and run it through the Photo-Flo
•Squeegee off excess with fingers
Step 7: Dryer
5 - 10 Minutes
- Put clips on both ends of film and hang in dryer.
- Be sure to hang in the section marked for your class.
Step 8: Finishing the Film
- Return the hanging clips to the tray on the sink.
- Take your film to the light boxes holding it by the edges as to not get fingerprints on the film
- Carefully cut the film apart in rows containing 5 frames each and discard any blank or black areas of the film
- Slide film into a negative sleeve with the shiny side up and the numbers across the bottom
- Now you can view your negatives safely without scratching them with the loupe and they are ready to be made into a contact sheet!