Introduction: Digital Clock With Automatic Rotation of LED Display
This project is about a digital clock with automatic rotation of 7-Seg LED display.
This clock can be rotated in any position keeping the digits readable even upside down or in a mirror image!!
It is controlled by an Arduino and driven by accelerometers to find out the correct position in 3D coordinates.
Additionaly there is a feature to show the indoor ambient temperature in Celsius or in Fahrenheit degrees.
The assemble is very simple and I hope you have fun using it !!
Step 1: Material List
- Arduino Uno R3
- MPU-6050 breakout
- Multi Funtion Shield for Arduino
- Female jumper wires
- MPU-6050 breakout:
The MPU-6050 breakout consists in a triple axis accelerometer and gyroscope plus a temperature sensor with following specifications:
- Chip: MPU-6050
- Input Voltage: 3-5V
- ADC: 16 bits
- I/O: standard I2C
- Gyroscope full-scale range: ±250, 500, 1000, 2000°/s
- Accelerometer full-scale range: ±2, ±4, ±8, ±16g
- Temperature sensor range: -40 to +85 ºC
- Multi Function Shield (MFD):
The MFD can simplify and speed up the prototype development.
- 4 digit 7-segment LED display module driven by two serial 74HC595's
- 4 x surface mount LED's in a parallel configuration
- 10K adjustable precision potentiometer
- 3 x independent push buttons
- Piezo buzzer
- DS18B20 temperature sensor interface
- LM35 temperature sensor interface
- Infrared receiver interface
- Serial interface header for convenient connection to serial modules such as Bluetooth, wireless interface, voice module, a voice recognition module, etc.
Step 2: Assembly
The assembly is very simple and does not need any schematics:
- Insert the Multi Shield into the Arduino.
- Fasten the MPU-6050 breakout on the Arduino board using a tiny screw.
There only 04 jumper wires to be connected:
- Red wire: Vcc (+5V)
- Black wire: Gnd
- Green wire: SCL of MPU-6050 breakout to port #6 in the Multi Shield.
- Yellow wire: SDA of MPU-6050 breakout to port #5 in the Multi Shield.
Step 3: Setup
There are 3 buttons to setup the clock:
- Left button: Press to adjust the hours. Quickly press to set up step by step. Continuous press to advance the hours quickly.
- Center button: Set the minutes. Continuous press to advance the hours quickly.
- Right button: a quick press to move for temperature mode.
Note: In Temperature Mode is possible to change the status to Fahrenheit or Celsius pressing the Left button.
Step 4: Code
The main functions of the code are:
- Reading of accelerometers inclination angles.
- Calculation of the transfer function for the 7-seg LED display (see pictures).
With the angles is possible to detect the spacial position of the clock and decide what routine will be released:
- Front View - Clock Stand Up
- Front View - Clock Upside Down
- Mirror View - Clock Stand Up
- Mirror View - Clock Upside Down
Participated in the