Introduction: Drawing Charcoal
If you are and artist(maybe your friends are)... But any way I will show you how to make Drawing Charcoal Cheaply.
Step 1: Materials
For the materials they are here:
1. An 8 inch steel pipe with threads so end caps could be placed on.
2. 2 Screw-on end caps for the pipe.
3. For the Charcoal I used Willow branches. I found them at the Charles river in Boston, any willow branches would work.( most wood should work)
4. A pair of wrenches may be a vice.
5. A knife.
6. A fire pit/fire place that works.
Step 2: Preperation
Now that you have the materials here are the steps:
1. wash the pipe inside and out. there is oil which will burn and won't be good.
2. Place the pipe in the vice and tightly screw one end caps on to the pipe.
3. Cut the willow branches in to 6-8 inch sections.
4. Skin the Willow branches so that the wood is slippery.
5. Place the skinned and cut willow branches in the tube.
6. Screw the other end cap on but not as tight as the first one.
Step 3: MAKING and Finishing
Once the Wilow branches are in the tube, place the tube in a fire place/ pit for roughly 2 hours. (try to keep the temp the same).
After about 2 hours take out the tube and let it cool on paper or any other nonflammable surface.
Hint: Don't smolder in water because there will be condensation on the inside which will destroy the Charcoal.
Now unscrew the looser end cap and take the Charcoal out.
You have successfully made Drawing Charcoal!(if you completed the steps)