Introduction: Dumpster Fire Pop-Up / Light-Up New Year Card
Let's say goodbye to 2020 by tossing it in the dumpster and lighting it on fire! (You know, in a totally safe manner.) There's a new year coming, and it's just got to be better...
We make a lot of light-up cards using our conductive Maker Tape but we decided to make this a light-up and pop-up card to commemorate the end of 2020 and look forward to the new year. 2021 has got to be better than 2020! (Fingers crossed... right!?!?)
If you like our projects and want to see more of what we get up to each week please follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
Brown Dog Gadgets does in fact sell kits and supplies, but you don't need to buy anything from us to make this project. Though if you do it does help support us in creating new projects and teacher resources.
- Maker Tape
- 2 x 5mm RED Blinking LEDs
- CR2032 Battery
- Binder Clip
- Paper (Heavy Cardstock Recommended!)
Step 1: Print the Card
- Print out the first two pages of the PDF so your card is double sided.
- We recommend printing the card on a heavier paper like cardstock.
- If you feel like coloring or doing your own decorating there's also a black & white PDF you can use.
Step 2: Print and Cut the Dumpster
- Print out the dumpster on its own.
- Carefully cut it out using scissors or an X-ACTO knife.
- Make sure you don't cut off the bottom or top tabs, as we'll use those to attach it to the card.
Step 3: Build the Circuit
- Use the circuit diagram printed on the inside of the card to layout your circuit.
- We used 5mm red blinking LEDs but you can use others if desired. (10mm LEDs are awesome but might be a bit large for this project.)
- Make sure your LEDs are oriented correctly, with the longer (positive) legs going to the center (towards each other) and then to the positive side of the circuit/battery. The shorter (negative) legs are on the outside and will go to the negative side of the circuit/battery.
- Make a small loop of tape to stick the battery negative side down to the "negative" side piece of tape.
- Once you have the circuit built fold over the lower right corner to make sure it lights up! If it does not, check the orientation of your battery and LEDs.
Step 4: Attach the Dumpster
- Fold the bottom tab of the dumpster as shown.
- Fold the top tabs as shown. Note that the top tabs get two folds.
- Tape the dumpster down to the card by matching up to the position of the guides on the card.
- If you get everything lined up properly your card should close. (At least as much as it can with LEDs attached to it.)
Step 5: Add the Binder Clip
- You can use a binder clip as a switch for your card. As long as it's in place holding the corner to the battery, your card will light up.
Step 6: Enjoy Your Card!
- Give your card to someone or keep it for yourself. If you ever want to be reminded how terrible 2020 was, just display it and be sad. :(