Introduction: Easy ESP-01 Tasmota Programming
Step 1: Download Required Software
The first step is to download the required software to flash your ESP-01 with Tasmota.
- Download the latest binary version of Tasmota from this link.
- Download the latest version of Tasmotizer
In the next step we will configure the ESP-01 module and programmer to get ready to Flash Tasmota.
Step 2: Hardware Setup
The ESP-01 board can be flashed with Tasmota using the provided Programmer board, however the ESP8266 needs to be in the programming state. To get the ESP8266 into programming mode we need to connect GPIO_0 and Ground on startup.
There are various ways to achieve this, a simple on is to solder a male and female jumper lead to GPIO_0 and GND.
- Solder a male jumper lead to GND
- Solder a female jumper lead to GPIO_0
- Connect the two jumper leads
- Plug the ESP-01 module into the programmer
- Plug the programmer into a USB port on your computer running Tasmotizer
An alternative to the jumper leads can be seen in this tutorial, where a small push button is used instead.
Step 3: Flash Tasmota Using Tasmotizer
With your programmer connected and the ESP8266 in programming mode, navigate to your Tasmotizer application.
- Click on "Refresh" to make sure your port is updated and set to the programmer. In my example it is port 4, but it could be different on your computer.
- Click on "Open" and select your version of the tasmota.bin file downloaded earlier.
- Make sure the "Erase before flashing" option is checked.
- Click on "Tasmotize!"
- Wait for the process to finish
- If you get a message "Process success.....", click "OK".
- Remove the programmer from your computer
- Disconnect the jumper wires between GPIO_0 and GND
- Plug the programmer back into your computer.
Troubleshooting: If you get an error when clicking "Tasmotize!" make sure that you are using the correct port, or that the ESP8266 is in programming mode
Step 4: Connecting ESP-01 to WiFi Network
You can now connect the ESP-01 module to your Wifi Network using two methods.
Please note that the WiFi network should be a 2.4 GHz network...
- The ESP-01 module will starup in Access Point mode, allowing you to connect to it using a phone or laptop with WiFi.
- You can use Tasmotizer to send your WiFi details to the module.
Tasmotizer method (Easier)
- Navigate back to Tasmotizer (ESP8266 NOT in programming mode)
- Click on "Send config"
- Enter your SSID
- Enter your password
- Click "Save"
- Click "OK"
- Wait about 10-20 seconds
- Click "Get IP" to get the IP address your router assigned to the module
Access point method
With your module plugged back into the computer, open a WiFi search on your phone
- Select the tasmota_xxxxxx network
- Connect to the network
- Wait for prompt to open on your phone
- Enter you WiFi details and click "save"
- Now you will have to use an application like FING to discover the IP address of the module
In the next step we will test the setup
Step 5: Testing
You can now simply navigate to the IP address of your module in a browser on the same network.
In my case the provided IP address was 192.168.1.37
When you see the Tasmota interface, your are done.
You can now use Tasmota for a range of projects like smart home projects like this