Introduction: Finishing a 3d Print
This is the intro for how to do a 3d printed item into a finished piece of art.
3d printer, acrylic paint, superglue (any strong adhesive) painters tape, bondo putty ( or something like it), a reference picture for colors, a thing tip painting brush, And a clean workspace.
Step 1: Gluing Prints
For this step you will need a few things to start.
1. You will need super glue or any strong adhesive
2. Glue each side and put them together (watch out for sliding )
3. Use clamps to hold the pieces in place and together.
4. Give the glue 30 to 40 minutes to dry.
Step 2: Getting the Model Ready for Paint
To get the model ready for paint you have to start with sanding the model down using a 250 grit sand paper to get the model as smooth as possible.
Step 3: Fill in the Gaps
**warning** please make sure that you are in a well ventilated area for this part because the putty may have fumes.
After sanding the model down to your liking you will need to add bondo putty in the areas that did not fit or have holes. Allow the putty to dry over night to make sure it is hardened.
Step 4: More Sanding
At this point the putty is few and now you can smooth it out by sanding it down so it is flush with the print.
Step 5: Painting 1
You will get the model ready for paint by using a primer paint. I find it best to use the rustolim brand primer without the gloss. Then allow the primer to dry for 30 minutes or so.
Step 6: Painting 2
After the primer is dry you are ready to paint. Do not rush this process and take you time.
1. Use painters tape to tap the areas that will not need the color you start with
2. Paint the areas that are not tapped
3. Let paint dry
4. Add another layer of that paint and let it dry
5. Peel off the tap carefully
6. Tape off the painted areas so other paint does not get on it.
7. Paint the untapped areas
8. Let dry.
9. Add another layer of paint and let dry.
10. Peel off the all of the tap
11. Add paint to areas for finishing touches with a thin up brush (take your time)
12. Let dry
Step 7: All Done
You are all done and now you can show it off to the world. I hope this was helpful 😁