Introduction: Fixing a Marshland to a Desert Terrarium
This was my sisters terrarium and as you can see it wasn't taken care of and was over watered. I took the terrarium over and decided I was going to redo the entire thing to make look better as well as smell better. I took me overall about a hour to do and when I was finished I was quite pleased with it.
Step 1: The Cleaning Process
I started with the decorations and took them out with tweezers because I didn't want to touch the nasty mold that was growing on everything. The rocks were really hard to take out since they were so slimy making them slippery and hard to get a hold of with the tweezers. I then went and dumped out all the muck and weeds outside in the garden and then washed the container and the decorations. I had to use bleach to get rid of a rotten garlic smell that was coming from the decorations and the container. Once I was done doing that everything looked and smelled good.
Step 2: Placing the Rocks and the Soil
I first added a layer of pebbles at the bottom of the container to help drain the extra water so it wouldn't overflow with water again. I then continued by adding miracle grow onto the pebbles and had to break a few chunks because they were to big and would take a while for water to absorb into them. I added water after the soil to keep dust from flying around while I put the decorations on top of the soil.
Step 3: Planting and Decorating
I used my tweezers to make small holes were I could place the roots of the cacti into. I moved the soil around the cacti and pressed the soil to help support the cacti as they grow and spread their roots through out the soil. Then it was time for the funnest part...Decorating. I placed a large,flat rock in the corner of the container then pressed it more deeply into the soil. I placed the small house on top of the the rock and began to place the rest of the rocks around the cacti. Then I added the sign and the bunnies into the container.
Step 4: Finishing Up
I sprinkled this stuff called vermiculite which is suppose to keep the soil from smelling and helps plants grow healthier. It absorbs water quiet well too so that hopefully will help with any flooding issues. It also looks like sand so it matches the dessert theme that I was going for. After all of that there was something missing so I went a found a model of a gnome and thingiverse and printed it on my Ender 3 Pro. I placed in the back of the container between the house and the sign and it looks really good there. It's harder to see it on camera since it is black but it does look like a gnome that is giving off good luck. If you got questions or want to say something please comment below(:
Step 5: Video
Participated in the
Fix It Contest