Introduction: Folded Paper Pencil Stand
I wanted to make a folded paper pencil stand for my daughter. She is 6 and loves colors and cheesy things and I have just the right material for that! The stand is made from 5 or 6 sections - you can choose which version to make. If you make 5, the center of the stand will look neater and you can decorate it on top but you cannot put anything larger inside, like for example feathers. If you make 6 sections, there will be a gap in the center that you can use to place longer decorations.
If you have a whole bunch of origami/scrapbooking paper and get tired of making pencil stands, you can try this Miniature Paper Handbag!
- 5 or 6 design paper sheets 15,2 x 15,2 cm / 6 x 6 in
- 5 or 6 white paper rectangles 7,2 x 3,8 cm / 2.8 x 1.5 in
- Decoration like: wooden cutouts, feathers, stickers, ribbons, cabochons
- Glue gun to attach some of the decorations
Step 1: Fold
- Start with one sheet of paper.
- Fold it in half upwards (white side in). Fold it upwards once again
- Open and turn 90° so the creases are vertical now.
- Once more, fold up twice (same way like you did in step 2).
- Open and now fold in just the corners. The edges of the corners should match the creases.
- Fold the top and bottom section (both are one quarter of the sheet towards the center.
- Flip the sheet and now you'll be folding the left and right ride to the center.
- Fold it to the center and the white triangles on both sides should align.
- Take one of the white paper rectangles and insert it in one of the white triangles like you see in the photo.
- Insert the other side of the rectangle into the other triangle.
- As you see in the closeup, insert one half into the other (one side with the white triangle has to go in the other).
- When you flip what you have so far, there's a crease in the center of the backside. Push that crease out a little.
- Flip it back and push one of the halves into the other as par as it goes.
- With the back crease going out the final shape will be triangular. This is one section of your stand. Create 4 or 5 more according to the version you're making.
And because some things are better explained with a video than with words, here's how to do the last few steps (without the white paper rectangle): Video HERE (YouTube).
Step 2: Assemble
- You should have 5 or 6 sections in total.
- If you use 6, glue three and three together like you see in the picture. If you're using only five sections you can glue all of them together one by one.
- If you made 3+3, glue them together.
Step 3: Decorate
- You can, for example, glue a cabochon or a rhinestone in the center. This is the option especially if you made a stand from 5 sections.
- You can also decorate the white squares on each section. I glued on some wooden heart cutouts. Since I had the gap in the center (6 sections) I glued on some paper leaves on wire (they can be shaped thanks to the wire).
- I also added two wooden ladybugs.
Participated in the
Origami Speed Challenge