Introduction: How to Control Drone Quadcopter Brushless DC Motor (3 Wires Type) by Using HW30A Motor Speed Controller and Arduino UNO
The HW30A Motor Speed Controller can be used with 4-10 NiMH/NiCd or 2-3 cell LiPo batteries. The BEC is functional with up to 3 LiPo cells. It can be used to control speed of Brushless DC motor (3 wires) with maximum up to 12Vdc.
- Max Continuos Current : 30A on 3 Cells
- Max Input Voltage: 12V
- BEC : 2A
- Input Voltage : 2-3 Lithium Polymer or 4-10 NiCd/NiMH
- Resistance: 0.0050 ohm
- FETs: 12 Lithium
- Cut OFF Voltage: 3.0V / cell
- Size: 45 x 24 x 9 mm
- Protection: 110 CPWM: 8KHzMax Rotation Speed 20,000 RPM for 14 pole motor
Step 1: List of Components
In this tutorial, (please refer the image above) the components needed are as follow:
- Battery 2-3 cell LiPo
- Arduino UNO
- Brushless DC Motor
- Male to Male Jumper cable
- HW30A Brushless Motor Speed Controller
- USB 2.0 cable type A/B
- Variable Resistor 10k ohm
- Crocodile Clip
Step 2: Hardware Installation
Refer the diagram above for your reference.
- Connect the battery 2-3 LiPo to HW30A Motor Speed Controller (ESC).
- Refer the diagram, connect together the HW30A Motor Speed Controller (ESC) with Arduino UNO
- Last HW30A pin output connect to Brushless DC motor
Step 3: Source Code
Download this sample source code and open it in your Arduino IDE
Step 4: Uploading
After open the code in Arduino IDE, go to the [Tools] --> [Boards Manager] --> select [Arduino/Genuino UNO] as we using Arduino UNO in this tutorial.
Then connecting the Arduino UNO to PC, after that select the correct port (go to [Tools] --> [Port] --> Select correct port for Arduino UNO).
Next, compile and upload the code into your Arduino UNO.