Introduction: Halloween Bat Cake
A moist rich vegan pumpkin spice cake filled with a decadent pumpkin spice buttercream and finished with a ombre of creamy Italian meringue buttercream and candy bats. This is the perfect cake for anyone, and can be enjoyed people of all ages!
2 cups gluten free flour
4 tbs flaxseed meal 12 tbs water
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup coconut cream or dairy free sour cream
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 can pumpkin purée 15oz
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
pinch of ground cloves
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Pumpkin Buttercream
1 cup vegan butter unsalted
¼ cup pureed pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups confectioners sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp instant espresso
1/4 tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground ginger
For the Italian Meringue Buttercream
Aquafaba or Aquaflaxa 1½ cups
Granulated Sugar 2 cups
Water ¾ cup
Cream of Tartar ¼ teaspoon
Softened Vegan Butter 3 sticks
Solid Vegetable Shortening ¾ cup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the bats
one cup of dark candy melts
Step 1: Make Your Cake Batter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flaxseed and water and let sit for 10-15 min
- Butter and flour 3 six inch cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the flaxeggs, sugar, oils, sour cream, vanilla and pumpkin.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, salt and spices;
- add to wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until centers are springy to the touch and the edge is pulling away from the pan.
Step 2: Make Your Pumpkin Buttercream
- Beat the butter, salt, and pumpkin together in the bowl or your stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Sift in the sugar, spices, and instant espresso and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Add more sugar if needed to thicken consistency.
Step 3: Make Your Italian Meringue Buttercream
- First reduce the 1½ cups of aquafaba by bringing it to a boil then simmering for about 20 minutes until it is to 1 cup volume
- Refrigerate until cold
- Once the aquafaba is cold you will start whipping it with the cream of tartar on medium to high speed while you cook the sugar syrup at the same time
- Combine the water and sugar together in a heavy bottom sauce pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Attach a candy thermometer and cook to 240°F It should take about 10 minutes to reach temperature which is approximately the same time it takes to get the Aqafaba to stiff peaks.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the whipping meringue as shown in the video.
- Once all the sugar syrup is added continue whipping to cool down the meringue and you can help it cool faster by placing a bowl of ice water under the mixer bowl.
- Add the vegan butter and shortening only once the meringue has cooled to below 100°F
- Whip smooth then add the vanilla extract
- separate the meringue into 4 separate bowls and make 4 different shades of orang e
* you will need to rewhip the meringue before you frost the cake
Step 4: Make Your Candy Bats
- Print out 3 pages of bat outline.
- Arrange them side by side.
- Add a sheet of parchment paper
- Melt the candy melts and transfer to a piping bag.
- Snip off the tip.
- Pipe the outline of each bat.
- Set aside to dry.
*some of your bats will break but you should have enough to decorate the cake
Step 5: For Assembly
- Pipe pumpkin buttercream between each layer.
- Cover completely, smooth with a bench scraper and off set spatula.
- Transfer to the fridge to chill.
- Give each batch of the Italian meringue buttercream a quick whip.
- Transfer each color into piping bags and snip off the tips.
- Starting with the darkest orange, pipe each color of Italian meringue in a gradient.
- Smooth with tools and transfer to the fridge again.
- Carefully separate bats from the parchment paper. They can be very fragile!
- Attach bats by gently pressing onto the buttercream.
Participated in the
Halloween Contest 2019