Introduction: Homeless Shelter
Hello this is my first Inscrutable and I wanted this to be about being humble and grateful to the less unfortunate in my community. The reason I choose to do this Instructable about homeless shelters is because the town where I come from El Centro ,California has had been known to be the 2nd highest in unemployment(if interested here's the link) Link of El Centro. Due to this post I hope you'll all have the same ambition and help others.
Step 1: Your Idea
Clearly outline out your intentions, goals and services.Also please clarify the good intentions you have for the individuals . Write out what you want to provide, such as how many individuals you believe the shelter will house, or whether you will have other amenities such as career counseling, food pantry, pet assistance or therapy.
Step 2: What's Your Nonprofit to Become
Determine the type of nonprofit organization you wish to have. Nonprofit organizations have laws pertaining to each kind.
- Incorporating a nonprofit allows your homeless shelter to have its own legal entity. This gives your homeless shelter its own property and bank account, will carry on without you and separate you from liability. A board of directors is required with an incorporated nonprofit
- The President heads up the board and supervises all of the business and affairs of the board. While the President can also serve as the CEO of the organization, keep in mind that these two roles are separate; an individual cannot be compensated to hold an officer position.
The Treasurer keeps account of the receipts and disbursements in the organization’s books. Additionally the Treasurer is responsible for keeping track of the organization’s financial condition. This is an important role because it keeps the other officers and board members informed about the financials. Though officers are typically board members, there are no guidelines or requirements that suggest an organization cannot elect an individual outside the board to be an officer for the organization (unless the officer roles described in the organization’s bylaws state otherwise). It is possible for an individual to hold two separate offices, with the exception that the President cannot also serve as the Secretary.
- It is best practice to find individuals within the community who have passions and experience that aligns with the nonprofit’s mission. There are no IRS guidelines in place to determine who is certified to be on a board; any individual can become a board member. There are guidelines, however, that help public charities avoid inurement.
Step 3: Business Plan
Build a business plan. This expands on your mission statement to include a proposed budget and an expected annual budget.
- Choose a location for the homeless shelter. Consider the community and where the need lies.Rent, buy or request a place be donated. You will need a location and address to file appropriate paperwork.
- File to be tax exempt and tax deductible. Your homeless shelter will not have to pay taxes and individuals can claim donations on their taxes.
- Consider using a fiscal sponsor to help with start up costs.
- Reach out to the community for additional sponsorship. Contact the local churches, charities and other nonprofit organizations.
- Gather volunteers or hire employees.Put together a board of directors.Obtain an accountant, lawyer, or other professionals as needed.
- Get insurance. You may need property or liability insurance. If you have employees, you may need unemployment insurance.
Step 4: Thank You Very Much
I hope this makes you go out and follow your dreams of starting a non-profit to help others in your community and end the homeless crisis and aid it with homes for people to rehabilitate in and, get them ready to challenge their troubles in a healthy way and be the structure that will get them in motion.
7 years ago
Thank you very much Debbi and I'm thankful for the positive feedback :)
7 years ago
There is a special place in Heaven (if you believe) for you ! I wish there were more people that think of others than themselves ......... Just ........Thank You !! ?
7 years ago
Great looking project.