Introduction: How to Make a Wood Pig by Phi Phi
This is the first time i made a pig toy, i learned from wood working class. i also learned how to use lots of different machines. For example, rounder machine, drill press machine, band saw machine and sander machine. this time, i want to make a pig because i was born in the pig year and i was successful making it. Here are some steps for everyone to follow.
Step 1: Step 1: Assemble Your Materials
These are the tools and materials that we use to create our toy:
1. Bandsaw, for cutting out template and toy.
2. Drill press for drilling axle holes.
3. 1/4" Drill bit
4. 1" belt sander for sanding the toy.
5. Router table with 1/4" round over bit.
6. SAFETY GOGGLES!!
1. Axles and wheels. I used 1.25" wheels and axles from the hobby store.
2. Wood Glue.
3. Paint. Depends on your animal...
4. 2"x6" stock(or scrap). To cut your animal out of.
5. 1/8" ply or MDF for cutting template. You could even use card stock or cardboard.
Step 2: Step 2: Find a Photo
Go on the internet and find 1 picture of the animal you would like make.
It should recognized from the side view.
it could be a fish, a hamster, a cat, a dog, an elephant or anything.
The picture should not show at the corner or a side, it would be hard to make.
Step 3: Step 3: Print Your Image
Place the picture you had choose, put t in word program. It would be easier to use.
Drag the picture bigger or smaller so it would fit to the children's hand.
Then print it out
Cartoonize it by draw a line around the picture so it would be easier to cut out and appropriate to the children.
After cartoonize, cut the picture out,
Step 4: Step 4: Create Your Template
Place the (cut out) piece of paper on (1/8" plywood or MDF) a sturdier template and draw the shape on.
Cut the template out by the band saw machine.
Step 5: Step 5: Cutting Out Your Toy
Trace your template into a stock. I use scrap 2x6
cut our the stock
then draw small holes on the legs of the animal
Step 6: Step 6: Drilling the Axle Holes
use the axle hole to find the appropriate frill bit size
Place a scrap piece of wood under your toy above the drill table. This will keep your toy from tipping and blinding to the frill bit. If it does it will pin out of control and possibly fly at your face.
Drill your axle holes through your toy blank.
Step 7: Step 7: Rounter the Edges
Round over the edges so that the toy will be smoother and better fit into the hand of the child.
1. Place the round over bit into the router table and make sure the edge of the bit is level or slightly lower than the edge of the table. 2. Test the router bit on a scrap piece of wood first. Adjust the height of the bit as necessary. 3. Router the entire outside of your animal. If there are places that are too small to get the router bit into you will need to sand these by hand.
Step 8: Step 8: Sanding Your Animal
Sand all the uneven, rough places
Step 9: Step 9: Paint Your Toy
you can paint any color you like, this is where you can be creative
Step 10: Step 10:Glue in Your Axles and Attach Your Wheel
Make sure the axle fit in the hole
Put glue into the hole then glue the axle and the wheel in. Make sure leave space for wheels spin.