Introduction: How to Make a Portable Dishwasher
Living in a rental house with no dishwasher isn't the end of the world. The following details how to make a portable dishwasher that can be stored in the corner of your kitchen and wheeled over to near the kitchen sink when required.
Dishwasher connection kit
3 x 6" Blind flanges
4 x 1" caster wheels
Packet of 90 Degree Angle Bracket Fasteners
Quick connection hose
1/2" PVC Tee
Step 1: Make the Cabinet Box for the Dishwasher
- Following the dimensions in the manufacturers install instructions for the dishwasher. Cut the 3/4" prefinished birch plywood sheets to the correct size to make a 6 sided cube. The side that the dishwasher will slide in will obviously left open. I got the boards cut to size at my local hardware store.
- Use 90 deg. angle brackets to hold all the side together.
- Install caster wheels on the base
Step 2: Install the Counterweights
When the dishwasher doors are opening down and the racks are pulled out the dishwasher needs a counterweight to prevent the cabinet tipping forward. The solution I found was to use very heavy pieces f metal that could be fixed to the back of the cabinet for the dishwasher. Luckily I knew a steam fitter that could get me three 6" blind flanges but you can use any means to make a weight such as old dumbbell weights
- Tilt the box on it back and fix the weights to the rear using galvoband.
- Put a thin strip of plywood at the bottom to prevent the weights slipping when it is upright
Step 3: Prepare You Dishwasher Connections
- Using a dishwasher connection kit. Install the hose connections and electrical connections to the dishwashers.
- Once this is complete slid the dishwasher into the cabinet box and feed the cables and hose out the rear
Step 4: Prepare Your Kitchen Sink for the Dishwasher Connections
- Using a T connection add a connection to you existing sink flex connection on the hot supply
- Using a flex hose extend the connection out to the undersink door. In my case i hid the connection behind a false drawer front at the sink
- On the other end of the add a quick connect coupling on the house and a similar connection on the hose connected to the the dishwasher.
- On the waste outlet hose put a 1/2" PVC Tee to help reduce the water velocity. The hose and Tee will be placed in the kitchen sink when the dishwasher is in use.