Introduction: How to Make an Etched Frosted Mason Jar Design
In the spirit of reuse, I've decided to make some crafts out of my multitude of old pickle jars. Once cleaned, these jars are great ways make beautiful decorations as well as useful storage items! This frosted mason jar project is easy, simple, and will impress all your friends!
Step 1: Materials
- Semi Transparent Frosting Spray Paint
- Mason Jar
- Painter's Tape
I got my spray paint at my local home depot shop for about $10 for a big can.
- Safety Glasses
Step 2: Remove Adhesive
The adhesive label peels off quite easy under a running stream of hot water. Soak it in for about 3 to 5 minutes and it peels right off. If there are any extra adhesive splotches, remove it with a kitchen scrubber.
Dry it on a piece of fabric or clothe.
Make sure all the adhesive is gone since we do not want to have a splotchy paint job.
Step 3: Tape Your Design
Painter's tape isn't awfully sticky so I found it easiest to just draw out the shape I want to cut and cut it with scissors like I would with paper. It doesn't stick to the scissors and get ruined as long as you have a good sharp pair.
Tape your design onto the mason jar. This is the part that will be fully transparent.
Step 4: Paint
To have a nice foggy display like mine, I coated it about 4 to 5 times. If you want a light coated finish you can coat it for about 1 or 2 layers.
* Wear safety glasses and a dust mask since the spray can get into your eyes and lungs.
* Shake the can for about 1 minute.
* Then, place it on a newspaper or do it outdoors on the asphalt or sidewalk. Hold the can straight up and spray it evenly across the surface. Don't press it for too long. Spray it then move around, then spray it again. We want light even coatings.
* Let it dry outside for about 10 minutes. It will get foggier as it dries.
Step 5: Peel Off Tape
Peel off the painters tape, it should come off really easily.
I did a 2 step design so I repeated the last two steps again since I wanted a nice layered strip that is lightly coated with the rest of the glass heavily coated and a logo design that is clear.
Step 6: Done!
Enjoy your beautiful frosted mason jar!