Introduction: How to Prepare a Hiking Survival Kit
The purpose of an Emergency or Survival kit is simple, it is to ensure the safety and survival of the person or persons using it during times when essential necessities are unavailable. Kits come in all forms shapes and sizes. Below are instructions on how to prepare a simple Hiking Survival Kit.
Step 1: Survival Kit: Supplies & Preparation Instructions
“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” - Benjamin Franklin
- Waterproof Poncho
- Small Carabiners
- Fishing Line
- Paracord / 550
- Lip Balm
- Topical Analgesic (ex: Benadryl)
- Head Lamp
- Water Purification Tablets
- Travel Soap Dish
- Wire Saw
- Magnesium Bar w/ Striker
- Survival Blanket
- Petroleum Jelly Covered Cotton Balls
- Duct Tape
- Travel Bottles / various types
- Fishing hooks
- Plastic sealable container (Ex: Rubbermaid or Tupperware)
“Preparedness is the key to success and victory” - Douglas MacArthur
- Place all items out on a flat surface
- Inspect items for any defects or imperfections
- Pack small containers first - (Travel Soap Dish)
- Petroleum Jelly covered Cotton Balls
- Begin placing items into the Plastic Sealable Container.
- Tip: Keep you signaling devices such as the Mirror towards the top of the container.
- Seal Kit & Placement
- Tear Duct Tape into strips to help seal container
- Place extra strips of Duct Tape on the container for later use
- Store kit in hiking backpack or where you keep your hiking gear.
Step 2: Kit Maintenance
After you have assembled your kit, maintain its contents! You always want it to be ready when needed!
- Before each outing and after each outing check your supplies!
- Reevaluate your needs every year and prepare accordingly. Needs change and life happens, add and subtract items as necessary.
- Remember being prepared is everything!
Step 3: Additional Resources
- Harrison, Kathy. Just in Case: How to be Self-Sufficient when the Unexpected Happens. Storey Publishing. 2008
- Wiseman, John 'Lofty'. SAS Survival Handbook, Third Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Surviving Anywhere. William Morrow Paperbacks. 2014
- Alton, Amy. The Ultimate Survival Medicine Guide: Emergency Preparedness for ANY Disaster. Skyhorse. 2015
PREPARE Magazine; https://www.preparemag.com/
American Survival Guide: https://www.asgmag.com/
Recoil Offgrid Magazine: https://www.offgridweb.com/magazine/
"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." — Abraham Lincoln
Step 4: Printable Instructions
Have fun and stay safe out there!