We are 3 students of industrial product design at the howest kortrijk, for a product engineering assignment we have chosen to design and engineer a plastic press.
Nowadays, a huge amount of plastic waste is thrown away and wasted and nothing is done with it anymore, this causes a huge pile of waste over time. The purpose of this press is to upcylate plastic scraps such as wire spools, PLA scraps from 3D printers into a new product to make simple tokens with the “IDCYCLE”.
The old plastic is heated up until it is in a half rubber, half melting phase and is then compressed under a certain pressure into a circular jeton. These tokens can then be updated later to the shape of your choice by bringing a texture plate into the mold. The tokens can then be used at festivals or other events.
Step 1: Selection of Tools and Materials
- 3D printer
- Water Jet
- Cordless drill with screw head
- M8 wrench
- soldering iron
- stripping pliers
- welding post
- band saw
- screw turning
- Power cable (150 mm)
o No grounding
o 2 x 0.75 mm²
- max. 1380W
o Brand: sencys
- Closure on the brico cupboard
- Switch recycled from old coffee maker
- Screws for electrical house
- Wire spindle (4 * M8 * 32mm)
- Nuts ( 28 * M8)
- Nuts and screws (4* M4)
- Car jack (https://www.action.com/nl-be/p/varo-hydraulische-krik-/)
- Heat element (https://www.grandado.com/products/30mm-x-50mm-220-v-150-w-mica-band-heater-rvs-verwarmingselement-voor-injectie-machine) (30mm*50mm – 220V – 150W)
- Bimetallic switch (https://www.conrad.be/p/thermorex-tk24-t02-mg01-o200-s185-bimetaalschakelaar-250-v-16-a-openingstemperatuur-5-c-200-c-sluitingstemperatuur-1678204?fbclid=IwAR27lIYI6aHYeDjYjKXMFvI3fykVZBsD58ICwRumgmkeXzRM1pgfI4dX8z8)
(250V – 16A - closing temperature 200°C)
- heating gloves
- Top plate (see top top plate.prt) waterjet
- Bottom plate (see top plate.prt) waterjet
- Caps for the wreches (see doppen.prt) 3D printing
- Electro house + bracket 3D printing
- Bracket for on cap 3D printing
- Bracket for on tap 3D printing
- safety case handmade
*2 x (30*17 cm)
*2x (30 * 9 cm)
Step 2: Subassembly of Heating Element
The subassembly of the heat element consists of the steel tube that is welded to a steel plate which is then mounted on the top plate. The electrical part is then connected to the duct together with the electrical housing which is later attached to the safety cabinet.
How does the electrical circuit work? the heat element, the sensor and the switch are in series so that they are directly connected to each other.
Step 3: Subassembly Construction
In this subassembly we make the main construction with the jack on it, the 4 wire shafts are fixed with nuts to the bottom plate to which the jack is also attached, this also happens with nuts. the safety cupboard is made of triplix plate that is screwed to alkaar and then fixed between the wire shafts.
Step 4: Head Assembly
In the main assembly we attach the top plate with the electrical part to the wire shafts where the bottom plate is attached. These are attached with the help of 2 nuts per axle that ensure securing. in the top caps there is also a nut that fixes the top plate.
Step 5: Install Electrical House
Finally, we install the electrical housing on the safety cabinet with 4x 4M screws. The switch is located in this house.
Step 6: Final Model and Initial Tests
In the final model it is important that heat gloves are present to work with the machine, on the top of the tube is a 3d print with a nut that ensures that it is easily turned off.
In the first tests, the results were successful and were made in PLA and PS.