Introduction: Illuminator - a Key Holder for Your Home
This is a Key holder plus Lamp inspired by Marshall Jack Rack. I designed it at National Institute of Design, as a part of Materials and Manufacturing technologies module.
I used Bamboo as the primary material for the lamp and a very simple circuitry.
This can be done in 4 simple steps
- Cutting and making body
- Hollow Bamboo Piece -1 of length approximately 200mm, and outer dia 60mm
- Bamboo Ply - A4 size 9 mm thick
- MDF sheet 3mm thick - 250X80mm
- Acrylic sheet- 200X100mm
- Super Glue
- Warm white LED strips - 10X150mm - 8 pieces
- AC to DC Driver
- Electric Tape
- 6.35mm audio jack male and female
Step 1: Planning
I have uploaded the cad file of the key holder where you can find all the dimensions of the key holder.
The rendered image is the expected product.
Step 2: Cutting and Making Body
- I took a hollow bamboo of outer dia of 60mm and cut into two equal parts
- Now take a Bamboo ply and make the marking according to the dimensions
- for the front portion of the key holder, I have laser cut the 3mm thick MDF sheet. Please find the dxf file below.
- Cut the acrylic sheet using profile cutter.
Step 3: Joining
- join the bamboo halves to the rectangular bamboo ply using super glue.
- in order to increases the strength mix the fevicol glue with bamboo dust and apply over the joints.
- mark the back side of the body and cut it and glue it to the main body.
- Now the main body is done. Still, the front and acrylic sheet are remaining to stick them to the main body. this we will do once the circuitry is done.
- Take the laser cut MDF sheet and fix the female part of the audio jack to it.
Step 4: Circuitry
- Please follow the following circuit diagram for the circuitry.
- Connect two LED strips each in series to form a LED strip for one key.
- Now paste all the LED strips on the bottom of of the body as shown in the figure.
- Now Complete the circuit as shown in the figure.
- solder the circuit wherever it is necessary
- shorten the circuit of the audio jacks(male part) by connecting its two terminals.
Step 5: Finishing
- Align the front face of the key holder to the body and stick it using super glue.
- Now paste the upper acrylic cover to the body.
- Paste the bamboo slivers on the gaps if any.
- Give it a melamine coating for a polished surface
- now attach your keys to the audio jacks.
- There you go!! Your Illuminator, The key holder for your home is ready to use!!!
Participated in the
Make it Glow Contest