Introduction: Korean Style Beef (bulgogi)
No more need for take outs. Follow this simple tutorial and you can make your own bulgogi taste from home!
Step 1: Materials
- Sliced beef (frozen rib slices are used here, but any suitable fresh steak will just as well if not better)
- Onion (yellow onion is preferred since its not too strong)
- chili pepper
- cooking wine
(not shown on picture)
- coriander seed
- black pepper
- crushed star anise seed
- roasted sesame oil
Step 2: Cutting Board Work
- Chop onion into large chunks
- Finely dice garlic and ginger
- chop chili pepper
Step 3: Making the Marinate
- Place ginger and garlic in mortar and grind out the juices
- mix with soysauce, cooking wine, sugar, and vinegar (relative amount descending in order listed)
- In a hot pan, pour in some roasted sesame oil
- roast star anise seed, coriander seed, and black pepper until it is fully aromatic
- mix the oil and spices into the sauce
Step 4: Marinate and Pan Fry
- Add 3 teaspoon marinate to the meat and marinate for 5 minutes
- In a hot pan, add 1 tablespoon oil
- once hot, throw in meat and stir loose quickly. Cook until mostly done.
- Take meat out from the pan.
Step 5: Finishing Up
- In the same pan as before, add chopped onion and chopped chili pepper. Saute thoroughly.
- Add meat back to the pan, mix and cook until the juices dry off.
- Garnish with some finely diced scallion
- Transfer to serving plate, sprinkle with roasted sesame oil.
- Serve and enjoy!
Participated in the
Makerspace Contest 2017