MAT 594X_3D Printing Flexible Woven Patterns

152

Introduction: MAT 594X_3D Printing Flexible Woven Patterns

This design and print is based on Haruki Takahashi's research on 3D printed fabric. I printed the original version to begin. In the 1st and 2nd steps, I modified the GH patch in order to create a fabric, in which the weaving densities vary based on a simple 1D and 2D pattern respectively.

Supplies

Rhino 6.0, Grasshopper 3D, Creal

Step 1: Replacing the "Hair Points": 1D Woven Pattern

My goal was to code and print the textile with a density based pattern. I looked closely into the original GH patch that was given to us (based on Takahashi's work). What creates the fabric is essentially 2 components:

1. Pillars: these are the periodic upright columns

2. The hairs: these are the horizontal weaving structures

In this step, I created a patch that could concatenate sine waves, in which the frequency, amplitude, and phase are the main parameters. I created a "cluster" through these, which is a way of encapsulation in GH. You can see the messy (prototype) code inside the encapsulation in the blueish screenshot.

Then, I replaced the cluster titled "hair points" with this new patch I made.

See the photo of the print. (It came apart a bit when I was trying to remove the base part). It is a 1D pattern: dense, loose, dense, loose, dense

The resulting patch for the print is too complicated to be captured via a screenshot, but I am happy to share the GH file if anyone expresses interest.

Step 2: Replacing the "Hair Points": 2D Woven Pattern

This time I alternated the sine waves to create a 2D pattern. It is like a checker pattern, but instead of 2 different colors, I have 2 different densities.

The final print did not have the effect I designed for. I think this is due to 2 things:

1. I focused on alternating the densities on the horizontal hairs (the sinusoidal curves), however the pattern is effected by the pillars, as well. The pillars are following a 1D pattern unlike the hairs. See the photo of the final print.

2. The amplitudes of the sine curves that form the hairs are too small, so they all seem somewhat tight and kind of uniform on the horizontal level, even when the frequencies vary.

Update:

I addressed both the problems that I mentioned. See the screenshot with the uniform pillars. Running a print now.

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Fandom Contest

      Fandom Contest
    • DIY Summer Camp Contest

      DIY Summer Camp Contest
    • Make it Fly Challenge

      Make it Fly Challenge

    Comments