Introduction: Making a Motorized Washing Machine for Children With Arduino
Hello everyone !
For Christmas I made 2 small wooden washing machines to offer 2 children, one for our daughter Colyne and one for her friend Noah. The "Magic Wash" are made of wood (MDF) and really work (without water of course).
It is powered by a 12V battery and is controlled by an Arduino Nano.
- Scale: 1/2
- Dimensions: width 30 cms, height 40 cms
- Weight: 6 kg
- Digital display of remaining time and other info
- Drum rotation in 10-second increments (max. 60 seconds)
- Progressive acceleration and reversal of direction of rotation every 10 seconds
- Immediate stop of the motor when opening the door (display PO)
- Displaying the child's first name at startup
- Automatic standby after 5 minutes
- End of Wash Beeps
- Rechargeable battery powered 12V
- Controlled by microcontroller (Arduino Nano)
- Gearmotor 12V 300rpm: 7,86 €
- Rotating Bearing 3 inches: 3,11 €
- H-bridge motor Module L298N: 2,88 €
- Battery + charger 12V 1800mA: 8,54 €
- Ikea bowl 602.892.39: 2,99 €
- Arduino Nano: 3,10 €
- Hinge 60mm: 2,30 €
- Push button: 1,90 €
- 2 boards Medium MDF 6 mm 80x40 cm: 6,80 €
- Chrome vinyl: 3,53 €
TOTAL: 43,01 €
Already in stock
- 2 x 7-segment displays
- 2 x 74HC595
- 2 x 16 pin DIP support
- 14 resistors 470 ohms
- printed circuit board
- Sensor + magnet ILS
Other (recovery or consumables):
- Metal can (drum)
- 4 bottles of water bottles
- Wood chopsticks
- Circular saw
- Table saw
- Compact crosscut saw
- Glue gun
- Hand tools (hammer, files, saw, screwdriver, cutter, pliers, chisels ...)
Production time: approx. 30H
Step 1: The Drum
The drum is made from a recovered can of product.
It is cut with a cutting disc and covered with vinyl sticker imitation chrome.
The edges are protected with electric cable sheath.
And to be sure to fix the bearing in the center, I printed a drilling template.
Step 2: The Door With Porthole
The door is cut with a router in 3 steps:
- First circle to embed the porthole
- Second circle for external cutting
- Third circle for internal cutting
The contours are then rounded with a suitable cutter
For glass, I used a serving bowl purchased from Ikea :
VARDAGEN, $2.99, Article Number: 602.892.3
Step 3: The Carcass
The carcass of the machine is made of 6 mm MDF.
The front face is cut and the elements are assembled together with glued and screwed rods.
The machine then receives 2 coats of white paint.
Step 4: Opening Sensor
To detect the opening of the door I glued an alarm sensor (reed switch) behind the facade, and a magnet on the door.
Step 5: Assembly
The feet are made with 4 water bottle caps.
The hublot is glued with windshield glue.
A simple hinge allows the door to open.
And I recovered the red window of the display in an old alarm clock.
Step 6: Motor
For the rotation I used a geared motor of 12V and 300 rpm with a roller of rubber recovered in a old printer.
I created a height adjustable bracket to adjust the pressure on the drum.
Step 7: Electronic
For the display part I followed this article of madebyjoe: https://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-powered-7-...
To control the engine I used an all-purpose H-bridge: a L298n.
Then there are very few components because everything is ensured by an Arduino Nano (the code is available for download).
Note: I removed the power LED from the Arduino and the L298 to conserve battery power.
Step 8: Circuit Board
For the printed circuit board it is classic:
- Creating a transparent typon
- UV insulation
- Pass into a developer ban
- Engraving in iron perchloride
- Welding of composters.
For power I used a rechargeable battery of 12V and 1800 mAh with switch.
Step 9: Drum Mounting
The drum is attached by a turntable bearing.
By putting cloth in the drum, I realized that it was sliding instead of being trained. So I added 3 wooden triangles covered with chrome to train the clothes. Looks like Toblerone! lol
Step 10: Inside Overview
And finally, a lid comes to close the back.
Step 11: Done!
This is how to please 2 children for Christmas!
Strangely it is more fun to "wash" toys rather than clothes (Playmobil, car, ball...) lol