Making the Mom's Basement Trophies for Keemstar & Banks

Introduction: Making the Mom's Basement Trophies for Keemstar & Banks

About: Average Can Be Extraordinary

I was recently asked by Keemstar to make him and Banks a Mom's Basement Trophy. Mom's Basement is the name of their podcast that recently launched exclusively on Spotify!


Materials Used:

  • Pine
  • Magenta Perspex
  • Acrylic Paint
  • Wood Stain
  • Gloss Spray Lacquer
  • Wood Glue
  • Super Glue

Tools Used:

  • Laser Engraver
  • Bandsaw
  • Belt Sander
  • Hand File
  • Sand Paper

Step 1: Create the Brick Wall Background

First step in making these trophies was etching the brick wall pattern onto some pine. I first etched the outline to make sure it would fit. Then the laser could go ahead and etch the design I created for the brick wall. It was then over to the bandsaw to cut it out and then to the belt sander to sand the edges smooth and flat.

I used some dark wood stain to paint in between the bricks. This made them stand out a lot more.

Step 2: Make the Mini Sofa

To make the sofa I cut out some rough shapes on the bandsaw. 1 Large piece to act as the back of the sofa and 2 smaller pieces to act as the arms and the seat itself. These smaller pieces got glued together and then sanded and filed to give them a rounded shape. Hopefully making them look more like a sofa.

Then using wood glue for strength and super glue for its fast holding time, I glued the seat to the back piece. I then painted it a dark brown and glued it to the brick wall, again, using both wood glue and super glue.

Step 3: Add the Text

Last task was back at the laser engraver. I used it this time to cut out the "Mom's Basement" text. I cut it out of 3mm magenta perspex. This got glued to the brick wall using super glue.

Step 4: Done...ish

Here is the finished piece as it stood in the video. I spoke with Keemstar to get some feedback and he asked for red brick, and for the sofa to have a orange, brown and yellow check pattern to it. So I went about making those changes.

Step 5: Making Changes

I started by painting the bricks red. I used regular acrylic paint to do this. I then masked off the sofa and went through multiple base coats to cover the brown.... I know, in Hindsight I would have masked the brown off and just added the orange on top but my original plan was to use a brown felt pen to add some detailing on a lighter background... it didn't work out though. So I masked off the check pattern, painted it orange and then removed the masking tape. I then painting in the brown stripes and finally painted in the yellow stripes. To try and blend them together I gave it 3 coats of a really watered down orange paint. This did work well at blending I think. It got 3 coats of gloss lacquer all over its done. For real this time!

Step 6: Done... for Real!

I definitely think the red brick and orange sofa was a better way to go.

I hope this project has given you some inspiration!

Be the First to Share


    • Game Design: Student Design Challenge

      Game Design: Student Design Challenge
    • For the Home Contest

      For the Home Contest
    • Make It Bridge

      Make It Bridge


    Penolopy Bulnick
    Penolopy Bulnick

    3 years ago

    These are really neat! I really like how you etched the brick wall :)