Introduction: Mazda 787B 3D Printed RC Car
Whenever I build a car, I have to be inspired by something. The Mazda 787B, winner of 1991 24 Hours of Lemans and Group C car, has always captured my eye. With its low slung look, huge rear wing sitting far behind the car, the deep dish Volk rims, and the iconic Renown Livery, it's a sight to behold. Ever since I started making RC cars, I dreamed of making this car.
The 1:10 version, is 3d printed in Solutech PLA, shown in bare 3d printed finish and bolted together to form the multicolor paint scheme. The Rims are two piece rims with the front rims having the addition of the white cover that can be added to recreate the historic nature of the car. The Chassis uses a panhard style rear suspension with rear pod and Tamiya F104 rear axle.
I designed and tested the car in Fusion 360.
Manual and Parts List included.
I hope that this 3d RC car can inspire and encourage people to go out and push the limits.
Videos of the real car, so you can understand the stunning allure of the Mazda 787B.
Step 1: Overview
Step 2: Print Settings and Colors
Step 3: STL Parts
- switch holder.stl
- taillight pattern.stl
- headlight for led.stl
- motor front brace.stl
- rear motor cage.stl
- Floor B.stl
- rear middle deck.stl
- steering rack.stl
- upper suspension arms.stl
- Floor A.stl
- lower suspension arms.stl
- servo holder.stl
- Floor C.stl
- battery brace.stl
- lower brace.stl
- damper mount.stl
- servo arm extension.stl
- front suspension stand.stl
- headlight cover (left).stl
- headlight cover (right).stl
- front rim cover.stl
- rim face (front).stl
- rim barrell (front).stl
- rim face (left rear).stl
- rim face (rear right).stl
- outer rim (rear).stl
- vent support mirror.stl
- vent support.stl
- wing support b.stl
- rear screw holder.stl
- right window.stl
- left window.stl
- black nose.stl
- rear duct.stl
- wing support.stl
- wing inner support.stl
- exhaust left.stl
- exhaust right.stl
- rear wing.stl
- endplate (right).stl
- endplate (left).stl
- green left B.stl
- green right small.stl
- vent left.stl
- vent right.stl
- silver outlet duct (right).stl
- silver outlet duct (left).stl
- orange front left.stl
- orange front right.stl
- green front right.stl
- green front left.stl
- green side right.stl
- green side left.stl
- left dome green.stl
- right dome green.stl
- silver back.stl
- green rear.stl
- rear fender right.stl
- rear fender left.stl
Step 4: Body
Body sections are bolted together as well as glued together.
Step 5: Rear Pod
1. Assemble the Tamiya rear motor cage, install 6x10x3 bearings into bearing holders.
2. Install Bearing Holder
3. Assemble F104 rear axle following the Tamiya manual.
4. Install axle into motor cage.
5. Install Motor with appropriate screws for the motor.
6. Install motor cage onto lower deck with (4) m3x8 flat head screws.
7. Install Damper mount with (2) m3x8 button head screws
8. Install ball stud into the damper mount
9. Install damper mount
Step 6: Front Suspension
1. Place the upper and lower suspension arm together.
2. Place the Tamiya F104 uprights between.
3. Slide in the m3x30 rod, placing a clip on the top.
4. Slide in the front suspension spring and attach a c-clip to the bottom.
Step 7: Front Floor
1. Install onto the chassis floor the radiator and ball studs for rear links with (4) m3x8 flat head screws.
2. Install Hitec HS-77BB Servo into servo holder and install with (2) m3x8 Flathead screws.
3. Install servo arm onto servo.
4. Install battery cage with (2) m3x12 flathead screws.
5. Install Ball stud onto battery cage.
6. Install Battery.
7. Install ESC and Receiver with automotive double stick tape.
Step 8: Installing Front Suspension and Rear Pod to Floor
8. Install Front Suspension with (2) m3x25 flathead screws.
9. Install rear middle deck with (2) m3x8 screws. 10. Install ball stud onto rear middle deck and attach rear damper.
11. Attach rear pod links to ball studs on rear pod.
12. Attach 55mm shock to the ball stud on the battery holder and the ball stud on the damper mount.
13. Finished chassis.
Step 9: Mating the Body and Chassis
1. Attach Body to chassis with (4) m3x8 flathead screws.
Step 10: Rims and Tires
1. Glue the wheel faces into the wheel rims with 5 minute epoxy.
2. Glue the tires onto the rims with super glue/CA glue.
3. Attach the rim cover on the front wheel with epoxy after the wheel has been mounted to the car.
26mm Front/31mm Rear VTA tires.
Step 11: Livery and Decals
Stickers were sourced from ebay seller: “0.01shop”
“1/10 Mazda 787B 1991 Le Mans decal sticker for Tamiya Chassis TT0”
Front glass was taken from an rc car and attached with screws. The Mazda 787B body sold by the same seller could be used to take the glass from.
The headlight covers are 1.5mm pvc film for a plastic table cover sourced on ebay and glued into the frames.
The lights are Onkuey New Highlight 12 LED 1/10 car kit sourced on amazon.
Participated in the
Make it Move Contest