Microwave Corn on the Cob - No Shucking No Silks No Fuss

Introduction: Microwave Corn on the Cob - No Shucking No Silks No Fuss

About: Hello and Welcome to In the Kitchen With Matt. I am your host Matt Taylor. My goal for the show is to teach you how to cook really good food at home for cheap. Eating out everyday can get expensive, but it doe…

In this instructable I will show you how to make corn on the cob in the microwave. This method for making corn on the cob is awesome! There is no fuss, no shucking, and no silks to worry about, and it only takes 3 minutes to cook. Then you just put whatever you want on it and eat it! It is super easy to do, if I can do it you can do it. Let's get cooking!

If you have any questions or comments, put them down below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Follow the easy steps or watch the short video or do both!

Step 1: Ingredients

Print the recipe here on my website.

Ingredients:

  • Corn in the husks (washed)
  • cutting board
  • sharp knife
  • cutting board

Step 2: Place Corn in the Microwave and Cook

First we will place the corn in it's husk in the microwave, then we will cook it on high for 3 minutes.

Step 3: Remove With Oven Mitt

Now all we need to do is remove the corn with an oven mitt. It will be really hot. Place it on a cutting board.

Step 4: Cut and Pinch

Now using a sharp knife cut off the end of the corn, then pinch and push the corn out of the husk, leaving all the silks behind! You may get one or two silks, but that is not bad, pick those off. Super easy!! Then put whatever toppings you want on it. Butter, salt, and pepper, are the classics.

Step 5: Video Tutorial

Don't forget to watch the short video tutorial.

Summer Fun Contest 2016

Participated in the
Summer Fun Contest 2016

Be the First to Share

    Recommendations

    • Holiday Decorations Speed Challenge

      Holiday Decorations Speed Challenge
    • Plywood Challenge

      Plywood Challenge
    • Battery Powered Contest

      Battery Powered Contest

    63 Discussions

    0
    kilgore64
    kilgore64

    3 years ago

    My son who worked in the restaurant industry showed me this trick several years ago. I thought it was absolutely brilliant! We cooked all our corn like this for a few years. Then somebody rained on my parade by asking, "What about all the pesticides that are probably absorbed by the husks? Aren't you ingesting them?" I had never thought of that but they may have been right. Now I'm afraid to use this technique. Does anyone have any thoughts or facts regarding pesticides used on sweet corn? Thanks for the Instructable, though! :-)

    0
    Seawitch_SC
    Seawitch_SC

    Reply 3 months ago

    You are very right to be concerned. Always assume there were chemicals used or that it’s GMO. Unless it says organic and non-GMO the choice is yours.

    What GMO means is that the corn is grown to accept the weed killing properties and insecticide properties of a chemical such as round up and not hurt the fruit or vegetable. That’s with GMO really means. It accepts the chemicals without killing the product.

    0
    CPUDOCTHE1.
    CPUDOCTHE1.

    Reply 1 year ago

    My guess would be that the pesticides would stay on the outside of the corn husks.

    0
    JohnC430
    JohnC430

    Reply 1 year ago

    tell those people not to go outside and breathe because there are more than just pesticides in the air outside.... asbestos, fumes from the cars, methane from cows, etc etc.. and oh by the way, so many soluble poisons dissolved in drinking water, chlorine etc. They should stop drinking water too I have a few friends who are extremists like that. how many years were you using that technique?

    0
    loubee2
    loubee2

    Reply 1 year ago

    With all the layers of husks, I'd really doubt whether any insecticide could reach the corn itself! And corn husks are not what I'd call "absorbent", after all they're there to protect the corn "seeds" (niblets) & water would rot the corn niblets over time!
    And, if there was a "problem, I'm pretty sure you'd get an "off taste" when eating your perfectly cooked corn!
    Try an experiment? In a small of tub of water, add food coloring, put the whole corn w/husks into the water & let it soak for awhile! Then rinse it off, dry the outside, shuck the corn & see if any color tints from the water ended up close to the Corn itself. Food coloring is edible so you don't even need to "sacrifice" 1 cob!

    0
    kilgore64
    kilgore64

    Reply 1 year ago

    You have a good point. I used to cook my corn in the microwave using this method and I LOVED it. Then I started to think about the pesticides. Actually, my wife started to think about it. If it were up to me I'd probably still be doing it that way and happily eating whatever was on the corn. I might try your experiment to see what happens but I'm not sure whether pesticides used on corn are water-soluble or not. Is it possible that something non-soluble could pass through the husk? The other thing I've been thinking about is that when I buy corn locally there is occasionally a live caterpillar or two in each dozen ears. Whatever pesticide they are using (if they use any at all) isn't killing them, so there's probably not enough to hurt me. Thanks for your response!

    0
    chefspenser
    chefspenser

    Reply 1 year ago

    Buy organic

    0
    loubee2
    loubee2

    Reply 1 year ago

    I try to buy organic when the fruit/veg doesn't have a thick rind I can peel off, like grapes etc..
    But I'm living on a fixed income so I try to conserve a bit on fruit/veg w/thick rinds like bananas, melons, apples, corn w/husks etc., that I can peel & discard! It's not perfect,...but it's not bad & it's better than doing nothing to protect yourself! :-)

    0
    In The Kitchen With Matt
    In The Kitchen With Matt

    Reply 1 year ago

    I totally agree with you! There are so many layers that the inside is fairly well protected for the most. Although I do know insects find their way in sometimes, but they don't usually sell those where I buy mine. haha. That sounds like an awesome experiment!

    0
    In The Kitchen With Matt
    In The Kitchen With Matt

    Reply 3 years ago

    Yeah it is a pretty cool trick. I do sometimes wash the husk before putting it in the microwave. I also get my corn on the cob usually from a farmers market, but who knows if it has pesticides or not. But I haven't really been to frightened away from it though. Ignorance is bliss? lol

    0
    CPUDOCTHE1.
    CPUDOCTHE1.

    1 year ago

    I always husk my corn before cooking it t remove the worm. If you get corn without a worm, you know some highly toxic chemicals were used on the corn to keep the worms away. I like wrapping it in foil and cooking it on the grill. You can caramelize some of the sugar in the corn and it makes a visual and culinary treat.

    0
    In The Kitchen With Matt
    In The Kitchen With Matt

    Reply 1 year ago

    Yeah, we don't often get worms in our corn here. I cook mine on the grill too. But this isn't that method. There are many many methods for cooking corn on the cob. This is just a quick and easy method for people who don't have a lot of time. :)

    0
    shalnachywyt
    shalnachywyt

    1 year ago on Step 5

    WOW! I've been shucking and removing silks and then putting it in the microwave. This is a heck of a lot simpler than what I've been doing. Thanks for the tip!

    0
    In The Kitchen With Matt
    In The Kitchen With Matt

    Reply 1 year ago

    For sure!! Give it a try next time and let me know how it turns out. :)

    0
    shalnachywyt
    shalnachywyt

    Reply 1 year ago

    Turns out some of my friends have been doing this for years and I only just found out about it! Duh!

    0
    Errol1951
    Errol1951

    1 year ago

    another great idea going to try this

    0
    JohnC430
    JohnC430

    1 year ago

    for all those who are worried about pesticides... you can do this method before cooking