Introduction: Microwave Whole Spaghetti Squash (Safely)
These are wonderful things, but you do not want them to explode in the microwave. This instructable explains how to do this safely.
The Normal Way
A lot of recipes tell you to cut the squash in half first and then nuke it in water, but the method I use (and describe here) is easier and retains more moisture.
If you put an entire squash in the microwave, a lot of pressure can build up in the central cavity of the squash. If it explodes, you will be sad.
The (obvious!) Trick
Cut a small hole to vent the steam.
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 Sharp Knife
- 1 Microwave Oven
Step 1: Cut a Small Hole
- Wash the squash and then carefully cut a very small hole using a sharp knife.
- Make sure the hole goes all the way through the flesh of the squash (remember, we're trying to vent the internal cavity so that the steam can escape).
- These are fairly tough, so make sure you don't cut yourself doing this.
- Also: poke tiny holes in the skin to make sure there is no pressure build-up between the skin and the flesh.
Step 2: Microwave
- Put it on a microwave-safe plate
- Cook on high (12 to 20 minutes, depending on your microwave). When it feels soft, it's done.
- Carefully (very hot!) take it out and put on a cutting board.
- Cut it in half lengthwise
- Take out the seeds with a spoon
- Make something yummy
2 years ago
Simple and clever, thanks!!
Reply 2 years ago