Introduction: Olive Green Jasper & Freshwater Pearl Mala Necklace
Here we have another long necklace that is simply strung on tigertail. Instead of using cord and knotting between each bead, we have simply used tiny size 15/0 seed beads as spacers - you get the same look with a lot less effort! I often won’t use any decorative findings such as caps or spacers when I make a Mala, but in this design the bronze bead caps and daisy spacers add an extra element. We’ve used a tassel for this design, but a gemstone pendant would work equally as well!. In terms of length, this necklace has worked out to be about 85cm long, plus the length of the pearl drop and tassel.
- 5x Large (10mm wide or larger) Freshwater Pearls. We have used Peanut pearls.
- 30x 8mm Gemstone Round Beads. We have used 8mm Green Jasper Round Beads.
- 4mm Gemstone Cube Beads. We have used Picture Jasper cubes.
- Tassel. We have used an Olive Green Tassel.
- Size 15/0 Seed Beads. Choose a colour to match – we used matte bronze.
- 30x Bronze Daisy Spacers. Anything from a 6mm to 8mm will work.
- 10x Bronze Bead Caps. Anything from a 9mm to 12mm will work, we’ve used 12mm caps.
- Clasp of your choice
- 4x Crimps (I like to double crimp for safety).
- Tiger Tail (we used 0.45mm)
Step 1: Thread on Your Beads
This necklace is simple strung on tigertail (use a bead stopper while you are working before attaching your clasp). Each Picture Jasper cube is spaced with a 15/0 seed bead. Each 8mm Green Jasper is spaced with a 7mm Daisy Spacer. Each pearl has a bead cap either side. Take a look at the photo if you need clarification.
The pattern for this design is (from the clasp): 8x Picture Jasper Cube – 3x Green Jasper Round – Pearl – 3x Green Jasper Round – 16x Picture Jasper Cube – 3x Green Jasper Round – Pearl – 3x Green Jasper Round – 16x Picture Jasper Cube – 3x Green Jasper Round – [down through the pearl drop and tassel, and back up through the pearl drop] – 3x Green Jasper Round – 16x Picture Jasper Cube – 3x Green Jasper Round – Pearl – 3x Green Jasper Round – 16x Picture Jasper Cube – 3x Green Jasper Round – Pearl – 3x Green Jasper Round – 8x Picture Jasper Cube.
Step 2: Make the Pearl Drop
We have taken the tigertail down through the middle pearl to create a drop, then through the tassel and back up through the pearl before continuing on. Note: we have trimmed the loop of the tassel so that it sits closely to the pearl drop.
Step 3: Finish Off With a Clasp
Finish off your necklace using crimps and the clasp of your choice. And that’s it! Super simple.