Introduction: One-handed Hair Straightener for Quadriplegics
We created a prototype of a one-handed hair straightener for quadriplegics to use without finger dexterity.
Step 1: Need Statement
We need a way for people without any finger dexterity to be able to straighten their hair independently.
Step 2: Functional Requirements
It must be usable by a single person and not require manipulation which requires independent finger movement.
Step 3: Materials
- 1x Hair straightener (https://www.amazon.com/KIPOZI-Professional-Straightener-Adjustable-Temperature/dp/B06XSVMZMH)
- 2x Adhesive-backed loop fastener
- 2x Loop-backed hook fastener
- 2x Small wheel
- 2x Adhesive-backed insulating pads
- 1x Roll of Kevlar cord
- 1x Metal ring
Step 4: Assembly
- On the outside of the hair straightener where its metal pads are within, attach each adhesive-backed insulating pad. This prevents burns from skin contact.
- At the rear of the top of the hair straightener (the arm with the digital display), attach one of the adhesive-backed loop fasteners.
- Inside the hair straightener, just before the bottom metal pad, attach another adhesive-backed loop fastener.
- To each of these, attach the loop-backed hook fasteners. These will serve as arm and wrist straps.
- Just before the bottom insulating pad, attach one small wheel, horizontally.
- At the tip of the bottom insulating pad, attach the second small wheel, vertically.
- Just before the top insulating pad, tie a knot with the Kevlar cord.
- Bring the cord down around the first small wheel and then around the second.
- Tie a knot around the metal ring and cut off the remainder of the Kevlar cord.
Step 5: Conclusion
Our prototype works well, although the cord sometimes slips off the wheel. We intend to replace this wheel with a pillow block bearing to the same effect while securing the cord through the hole.
A potential next step for this prototype would be for us to design a hair straightener which requires minimal use of precise hand motions and instead uses the arms or simple motions.