Introduction: Pet Health Keeper (Intel IoT)
This project aims to take care of your pet's health when you are not around, PHK feeds your pet according to the time set to the timer and monitor how it is getting fed, including how much water and feed it is taking. Leveraging the power of IP Camera and IR distance sensor and speaker, Interacting with your pet remotely is not so hard anymore; you can even award your pet with snack any time you like. Moreover, the moisture, temperature sensors are used to assist in monitoring the freshness of the food and the environment they are living.
Step 1: Step 1: How It Works
PHK is built based on Intel Edison Board and various sensors, it collects data from sensors and provides useful monitor information to users via APP or browser interface, the user can even control or interact with PHK directly via APP.
- Set timer of the PHK to specify the time of feed drop with APP
- Interact with your pet in real time with the streaming Video and speaker and drop the feed instantly as reward
- Water sensor to monitor the water level of water can
- Temperature sensor to monitor the temperature of the environment
- Moisture sensor to monitor the moisture of the feed
- IR Distance Sensor to detect if the pet approach the PHK and how long does it stay
- LCD could notify the user important information with different backlight color
- USB UVC captures the video of the pet
- Speaker to call out or to speak to the pets
- Motor and a feed drop mechanism to control the drop of feed
Step 2: Step 2: What You Need
1x Intel Edison Board
1x Plastic bottle
1x Water Sensor
1x Temperature Sensor
1x Moisture Sensor
1x IR Distance Sensor
1x LCD (RGB Backlight)
1x USB UVC Camera
1x Cloud server
Step 3: Step 3: Setup the Environment
At first, you need to set up Edison board as instructed in the official documents. In this project, we develop mainly in the Linux environment when Eclipse IDE is selected as our main development tool. C and Python are used in most of our program.
Step 4: Step 4: Cloud Service Setup
We develop our cloud service with PHP and MySQL, and run the services on private server or on Amazon Cloud.
Step 5: Step 5: Setup Sensors
1. Getready all the sensors and the relevant sample codes to accelerate the process
2. Cut a bottle in to half, one half as feed can and another as water can.
3. Prepare a carton and use it as the main structure of PHK, cut some holes on it for feed drop and tape sensor and camera on.
4. Put all the sensors to where it should be on the carton (ex. Water sensor goes to the water can)
5. Write codes to control the motor to spin the feed can so that the feed will drop all the way through the hole on carton to the plat at the bottom. Take some time to modify the spinning angle of the motor so that the feed drops accurately.
Step 6: Step 6: Smartphone APP
We develop an Android App to receive the monitoring information and streaming video from PHK so that the user could get the latest status/video of their pets. Moreover, the related monitoring information will be integrated into the APP for further analysis. The App is developed as native Android APP with Eclipse IDE, and the protocol used to communicate with PHK is HTTP.