Introduction: Phyllo Meringue Cookies
Calling all baked good enthusiasts that prefer crunchy vs. soft cookies. These Phyllo Meringue Cookies, not only embody 1 "crunch" component, but 3 -- that of pecans, meringue, and flaky phyllo. When I was growing-up, my favorite cookies were meringues and anything with pecans. So I figured, why not add phyllo for another crunch component. These cookies are both delicate and addictive. Enjoy
- 1/2 package of Phyllo dough (thawed)
- 1/2 pound Butter
- 1 1/4 cup Pecans
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
- 3 Large Egg Whites (Room Temperature)
- 1/8 cup Confectioners Sugar
Step 1: Prep & Stage
- Preheat oven 325°F.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt butter over medium-high heat & set to low to keep warm.
- Mix ground cinnamon + 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar in empty cinnamon container (this will help aid in sprinkling later).
- Finely chop pecans. Transfer to small container to spoon from.
- Measure out 3/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- Separate egg whites from yolks into different bowls.
- Remove thawed phyllo from packaging and set adjacent to work surface. Place slightly damp paper towel over phyllo to slow it from drying-out.
Step 2: Pepare Meringue Filling
- Using mixer, beat egg whites on high until thick and foamy (roughly 1 minute).
- Turn mixer to low and gradually add 3/4 cup of granulated sugar (roughly in 1 tablespoon increments).
- After the granulated sugar is added, turn mixer to high and beat continuously until the meringue forms stiff peaks (roughly 5 minutes).
Step 3: Assemble Phyllo Meringue Cookies:
- Using pastry brush, liberally apply thin coat of melted butter onto 1-phyllo sheet. Repeat 2x more, evenly stacking each layer on top of each other.
- Using pizza cutter, cut the 3 buttered phyllo layers into 8 equal rectangles.
- Using a small icing knife, flip over each rectangle and brush with melted butter.
- Sprinkle thin layer of cinnamon & sugar mixture even onto phyllo.
- Spoon roughly 2 teaspoons chopped pecans on top on cinnamon & sugar and spread out evenly.
- Dollop roughly 2-3 teaspoons of meringue onto the first third of phyllo closest to you.
- Loosely roll (using icing knife if needed to help roll) phyllo rectangle around meringue & pecans, swiss roll fashion.
- Brush cookie tops lightly with melted butter.
Step 4: Bake & Enjoy
- Transfer assembled cookies to prepared baking sheets (cookie seem facing down) spacing at least 1″ apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven.
- Remove cookies from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Using fine sieve, lightly dust tops of cookies.
Participated in the
Cookies Speed Challenge