Introduction: Plywood Reindeer
How about a big reindeer decoration for Christmas ?
It is 1.8m length and 1.7m heght in 100% scale.
8 feet x 7feet in 126% scale.
You can use both indoor or outdoors.
If you fold it in the barn during the off season, you can use it next year.
- Plywood or OSB (Print "patterns" in following scales) ... 2 boards @$10-20
[100%] t12mm x 900 x 1800 mm
[100%] t15/32 (≈ 11.91mm ) or 1/2 inch(≈ 12.7mm) x 3 x 6 feet
[126%] t19/32 inch x 4 x 8 feet (19/32 inch ≈ 15.08mm)
12mm x 126% = 15.12mm
[ 67%] t1/2inch x 2 x 4 feet (slit must be adjusted)
The original pattern size is for t12 × 900 x 1800 mm (About 3 x 6 feet)
Chose water resistant board for outdoor use and pain properly.
- Carbon Transfer Paper ... 2 sheets or more @$1 or less
- Paint (necessary for outdoor use) $10-20/deer
- Copy Paper (as large as you can print on your printer)
Total: $30-60 / deer
Design: 2 weeks (You don't need this if you use patterns below)
Copy : 1 hour
Trace : 2~3 hours
Cut :2~3 hours
Paint :1 hour
Total: 6 - 8 hours (exclude design and shopping)
One day is enough to make. but might be exhausted nice.
Design is already done for you . Just make it ^_^
Buy me a coffee
If you could... supporting me , buy me a cup of coffee from following address. https://www.buymeacoffee.com/shink
Buy complete model (Japan only)
If you are in Japan,can buy completed products from here.
- Printer (or use print service for A3 or larger size print)
- Ruler (Amazon)(eBay)
- Jigsaw (Amazon)(eBay) I recommend corded virsion.Because you can use it when you want. Battery needs charge first, if you do not use it every month.
- Jigsaw blades (Amazon)(eBay)
- Handsaw ZETTO(Amazon)GOGICHO Razor(Amazon)KAKURI(Amazon) For more precision straight cut. Most popular pull saw in Japan is ZETTO Saw. If you try pull type Japanese saw, please try ZETTO ,Gyokucho , KAKURI or , SILKY. I can recommend these 4 as Japanese genuine branded products. I can not find RUITOOL , SUIZAN , KERYE in Japan (^^;)
- Safety goggles (Amazon)(eBay)
- Safety masks (Amazon)(eBay)
- Sandpaper (Amazon)(eBay) #80,#150,#240
Step 1: Print Patterns
1. Print PDF Pattern files for outline
- Use Acrobat reader for printout
- Use " Poster" in print menu. That will automatically print it on multiple pages
- set scale 100% for 900 x 1800mm board,126% for 4 x 8 feet. 67% for 2 x 4 feet.
2. Number it for layout.
3. Draw a 100mm grid ( same size of grid on printed paper) on plywood by pencil softer than B. You can clean it with eraser after cut.
4. Pin the pattern paper with carbon paper on the grid.
5. Trace with ballpoint pen .
DXF file added for NC cutting.
I am happy if you make a lot and give it "free" to your company employee or neighborhood .
Please pay attention to CC license , especially "Non Commercial" terms.
Step 2: Cut
Cut using a jigsaw.
It doesn't matter if the outer lines are cut slightly out of line. It is a wild animal.
The most important part is the slit to be combined with other boards.
Please cut carefully so that the width of 12㎜ slit comes out exactly.
I think that it is also good to make a jig from the unused part of the board ,and redraw the slit line according to the board width. Especially when using a board other than 12mm.
Please check clearance when you cut first slit, and adjust. Cut other slits as same as first one.
Sand the cutting edge # 180-240 with paper before assemble, if you prefer to do.
Do NOT round cut surface of slit , that make wobble structure. Sand there flat.
The most important thing is not to cut any part of your body.
There is only one point. Do not take your finger, hand or others in the direction of the blade.
And watch your children keep safe.
Be sure to wear goggles. Sometimes jigsaw blades break and fly.
So you need some spare blade. I used 3 blades for one set.
And wear mask.
When cutting small parts, it is easier to cut them into rough parts first.
If the board hangs down and pinches the blade, or if the material is going to break under its own weight, escape from the cutting line and cut off the material.
Step 3: Assembly and Setting
Just assemble like puzzle. Pay attention to the orientation of Antlers.
There is no need to glue.
If it is too tight, adjust it with a file or sandpaper #80-160.
File flat as possible for avoid wobble.
If you set a reindeer on outdoors, take measures to prevent it from falling.
Use four camping pegs on the ground and tie the legs down them.
Please paint it with your favorite color. Clear is nice too.
Step 4: Postscript
[3D print version]
You can get small 3d print version from here
This is made for verifying design by myself before wood working.
[3D print sleigh]
This is just a drawings. I don't have made yet and will not make this year 2019.
Please try it before me , if you want.
Two kids or slim adult can ride it ,but can not slide on snow ^_^.
It was designed seriously, but please try with your own responsibility for strength or other problems. Please check for safety very careful and add metal fittings if needed.
It is difficult to use trace technic , because slit pitch must be precise than reindeer. For precision cut, you had better to re-measure and redraw the lines with straight ruler after trace.
Board size is t18 x 1230 x 2440 mm , almost same as 23/32inch ( ≈ 18.26mm) x 4 x 8 feet.
3 boards ( A layout x1 , B layout x 2)
Second Prize in the
First Time Author Contest