Introduction: Pumpkin Mousse
In this Instructable, I will show you how to make pumpkin mousse. This easy homemade pumpkin mousse recipe has no eggs in it and doesn't involve any cooking at all. It is a great fairly healthy pumpkin dessert that is super simple to make. It can be completely sugar-free if you want. Also, this pumpkin mousse can serve as the base for a yummy no-bake pumpkin pie, or put it in some tart shells. If you like pumpkin, pumpkin pie, etc. Try out this pumpkin mousse I think you will like it! If I can do it, you can do it. Let's get started!
Don't forget to follow me and check out my other Instructables! :)
Follow the super easy steps below or watch the video tutorial or do both. :)
Step 1: Ingredients and Tools
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or use cool whip topping (lite version for even more healthy) (240ml)
- 3 cups cold milk (Whole, 2%, 1%, Skim, Fat-free)(720ml)
- 2 - 1 oz packages of Vanilla Instant pudding, Fat-Free and Sugar-free for more healthy, or use regular (3.5 oz) vanilla instant pudding (56g)
- 1 - 15oz can of pumpkin puree or use homemade pumpkin puree (425g)
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (4g)
- Cinnamon or whipped cream for topping (optional)
- Mixer - if using whipping cream and not cool whip topping
- Serving glasses, ramekins, etc.
Homemade pumpkin puree: If you don’t want to use canned pumpkin you can use fresh pumpkin. You will need to prepare it first:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F/176 C.
2. Wash and dry the pumpkin. Then cut it in half and remove the seeds and the stingy pulp. Discard the pumpkin seeds or you can make roasted pumpkin seeds if you like.
3. Brush the pumpkin halves with vegetable or olive oil, or any other oil, and place them in a roasting pan. Add about a cup or so of water in the pan. The steam from the water will help it cook evenly as well as help to keep it from drying out.
4. Bake the pumpkin halves in the oven until soft when poked with a fork, this will take 75 to 90 minutes or so.
5. Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool until you can touch them. Scoop out the flesh leaving the skin behind. Add the flesh to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. If it is too watery, drain some of the water. Now you can use it for any recipe that calls for canned pumpkin, like this mousse!
Step 2: Whip the Cream
First off, if you want this recipe to be extra healthy, buy the "Cool Whip - Lite" topping. If you have that or normal cool whip, then skip this step.
Add the heavy whipping cream to a medium bowl and then beat with a hand or stand mixer until whipped and thick.
Step 3: Vanilla Pudding
Add 3 cups of cold milk to a large bowl. If you want it extra healthy use skim or fat-free milk. Add the two packages of sugar and fat-free vanilla pudding and whisk for a minute or two.
If you aren't as concerned with the healthy factor, you can use the normal instant vanilla pudding. Or you can make homemade vanilla pudding from scratch if you like which takes more time, but you can find that recipe here.
Step 4: Time for Some Pumpkin!
Add the can of pumpkin puree, or use homemade pumpkin puree. Then add the pumpkin pie spice. Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves.
Whisk until smooth.
Step 5: Fold in the Whipped Cream
Now add about a cup of your whipped cream. You will have close to 2 cups. You can save the extra to go on the top or for other things.
Fold in the whipped cream with a spatula. Folding instead of stirring will help keep the air from the whipped cream making it more light and fluffy. Or if using the softened cool whip, just mix that in with a spatula, you don't have to worry about folding it in.
And just like that the pumpkin mousse is done.
Step 6: Let It Set
Now you can just cover the main bowl and put it in the fridge for an hour, or fill up individual servings. I like to take cool glasses and fill them up. Then place them in the fridge and allow them to set for about an hour.
Step 7: Serve Them!
To serve them, remove them from the fridge and sprinkle on some cinnamon, or add some whipped cream, or leave them plain. Enjoy!!
Note: This recipe makes about 12 half-cup servings or 6 cup servings. I will be honest, I always make them the cup size, haha.
You can print the recipe here if you like.
Step 8: Video Tutorial
Now watch those steps in action with this video tutorial:
Participated in the