Introduction: Pumpkin Swiss Roll (Japanese Cake Roll)
This fluffy, soft, and creamy cake is known as Japanese cake roll, which is similar to Swiss Roll, Jelly Roll, and Rolled Cake. In general though, Japanese style Swill roll is most of the time, if not always, decorated, just like the following ible that I am sharing.
Filled with pumpkin cream cheese buttercream, makes this Japenese cake roll not just delicious but extra creamy.
Step 1: Caramelized Pumpkin
I made my own pumpkin puree by roasting my pumpkin. You can boil or steam your pumpkin, but squeeze out as much water as you can. You can also use store bought pumpkin puree.
- 1/2 c pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp sugar
- a pinch each of nutmeg powder, allspice powder, cinnamon powder
- Place all ingredients into non stick pan, cook on medium heat, while keep stirring, until mixed and sugar melted. This will take 8-10 mins.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature
Step 2: Cake Batter
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 gm sugar
- 50 ml whole milk
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 80 gm strong baker's flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt
- Beat egg yolks and sugar until thicken then beat in oil and milk, a little at a time, followed with essence.
- Beat in flour and salt until completely combined, set aside
- Beat 3 egg whites until frothy, then beat in 1 tbsp superfine sugar, a little at time
- Beat in 1 tbsp lemon juice, followed with 1 tsp cornstarch. Keep beating until stiff
- Fold egg whites into yolk batter, nicely and slowly, trying not to deflate the egg whites much
Step 3: Baking Pumpkin Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 F
- Take out a little batter, color with food coloring of your choice - as this is pumpkin flavored, I themed the decoration with pumpkin, so I colored my batter with pumpkin color
- Place a parchment paper on a rectangular pan
- Pipe pumpkin pattern on parchment paper, bake for 2 minutes
- Take out pan and spread the rest of the batter covering pumpkin pattern
- Bake for 15-18 minutes
- Flip pan, peel parchment paper, and let cake cool to room temperature (8-10 minutes)
Step 4: Making Pumpkin Roll Cake
- While waiting for sponge cake to cool down, beat 1 c of icing sugar with the pumpkin filling we prepared in the begging, 1 block of cream cheese and 2 tbsp unsalted butter. Cream until combined and creamy
- Spread filling on cake and roll (or you can also use half cylinder pan if you like, by place the cake on the pan and fill with filling)
- Chill cake for at least one hour before slicing and serving
Participated in the