Introduction: Red Bean Salad With Feta and Peppers
This colourful salad can be eaten as a main dish along side a warm bun or as a side. The beans provide the protein while the feta adds the saltiness to this fresh crunchy salad. This salad will keep nicely in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Warm up your arm muscles as there is a little bit of chopping involved.
1 can (540 ml) Red Kidney Beans
1 Red Pepper
2 cups Finley chopped Green Cabbage
2 Green Onions
4 oz Feta Cheese
1/4 cup Parsley
1 clove Garlic
2 TBSP Lemon Juice
1 TBSP Vegetable oil
Step 1: Your Tools
1. Can opener
3. Cutting board
4. Chef knife or a large knife you feel comfortable chopping with.
5. 1/4 cup measurement
6. 1 TBSP measurement
7. Garlic press
8. Large bowl
9. Glass measuring cup - wet measure
10. Large wooden spoon
11. Small pairing knife.
Step 2: Let’s Start With the Beans
1. Open the can of beans with the can opener.
2. Pour your beans into the strainer over the sink.
3. Rinse the beans with cold water.
4. Allow to drain for a couple minutes.
Step 3: Let’s Get Chopping!
1. Using the cutting board and the Chef knife, cut the red pepper in half.
2. Using the pairing knife carefully cur around the steam and down the white parts, discard.
3. Chop the red pepper into 1 inch pieces. Pour into the large bowl.
4. Using the cabbage and the knife, slice about 6 round slices off.
5. Finley chop the cabbage using the heal of your hand, enough to get around 2 cups worth.
6. Place the cabbage in the bowl.
7. You need to cut the green onion next -
8. Make a claw with your fingers curled up. I call this the claw. This is so if the knife does slip it will just slide down the front of your knuckles keeping you safe from harms way. However, if you have your fingers out and the knife slips, you might be on your way to the Dr to get stitches.
9. Chop the onions, place them into the bowl.
10. Using the scale, weigh 4 oz of feta.
11. Cut the cheese into 1/2 inch cubes, place into the bowl.
12. Using The parsley, pull it tight together into a bunch,
13. With your knife close to your bunch, chop finely
14. Put the parsley into the bowl
15. Lay the clove of garlic onto the cutting board
16. Lay your knife on top of the garlic
17. Using the heal of your hand, hit the knife, thus smashing the garlic clove
18. This will take the outer layer of the garlic off.
19. Place the clove into the garlic press,
20. Press over the bowl, releasing the minced garlic
21. Pour the beans into the large bowl.
Step 4: Time to Dress It Up
1. Measure out 2 TBSP of Lemon juice into the glass measuring cup
2. Add 1 TBSP of oil to the glass measuring cup
3. Using a fork, mix together
4. Using the large wooden spoon, combine all the vegetables together until well mixed.
5. Add the dressing, stir again.
Step 5: Your Reward
Enjoy this light and refreshing salad on it’s own or as a side.